From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:57:52 -0700

Dear Listies,

I asked way back in April about the genetics of celiac ie) in what way is
it passed between generations?

In addition to the private responses listed below, there were two postings
directly to the group which looked very helpful on April 24 and April 27
which will be in the archives in full detail.

Thankyou for all the info and sorry for the delay!

Lissy

*Good luck - there is a new Celiac Research Center being planned at Columbia
Presbyterian medical Center to study these kinds of things.

Until their study is done by taking blood samples from celiac family
combinations like father/son- sisters/sister/brother and trying to find the
gene for celiac, I doubt you will find the answers.  In other words, it is
being studied at this point.

*It may not have been your parents, it could have come thru  one of them
from a great-grandparent.

*You can contact Dr. Alessio Fasano at the University of Maryland.  He is
doing a huge research study on CD and inheritance.  He is very kind and
willing to talk to you over the phone.  You may be able to get your parents
into the study and get tested for free.  Good luck!

*I know of no solid reference, only anecdotal.  What I was told is:
if the country your "people" came from is coastal and rocky or sandy it is
unlikely that grain was grown, since grains need flat expanses in which to
grow.  therefore we have Ireland, Scotland, Britain, Italy and the coasts of
the US. Amerindians.  Because of intermarriage, it's not 100% however, it
can be half or one third of such people.

Not scientific, however it is interesting and possible. My mother was of
Irish descent and father was of English.

*This will be hard to figure out--but personal stories will help.  My
daughter was diagnosed in '98, and once she figured out what was really
"healthy" as opposed to what she had thought was "normal", she started
talking to her Dad about the differences the diet made.  He went on the
diet--no tests--with remarkable results.  It was only after that, that we
found out that my husband's aunt had celiac--but she had died 15 years ago,
so it took awhile for this to all get figured out in our small family.  Good
luck with your search.\

* Hi, I am not a genetician but I can tell how is CD spread in my family...
I hope it will be useful for you! Well, with her first mariage my mother
had 2 children (a boy and a girl, Jose and Patty), then came the second
mariage with me (a boy) and my sister (Bea).

  My brother (Jose) was diagnosed of CD after a long trial and error
diagnostic in his early years, while I was more lucky because when the
first symptoms came the doctors did a biopsy making a diagnosic much more
quickly... Apparently my two sisters don't have CD, nor my father nor my
half-brothers's father...

 I thought my mother bore CD whitout any symptoms but lately she has being
complaining of typical CD syptoms... I told her to go GF for some days and
she responded quickly... The only problem is that she is a little though on
that and she doesn't really follows the diet...

 Going up in the genealogy of my mother there has not been other diagnosed
celiacs... and in El Salvador (that's where I come from) in the times of my
granma it would have been impossible, because corn has always been more
used than wheat! (now that I'm studying in France I do realize what's being
celiac :-( and because CD was 'discovered' after WW2.

  Conclusion: CD might be borne by a dominant gene... well, what is sure is
that an examination of my family's genome would be useful for geneticians
studying CD!

*It must be because both of my parents lived to their 80's without ever having
it. My mother was a nurse and would have realized that something was wrong if
either of them had it. I had a uncle who died at 12 or 13. He was always pale
and weak in my father's memory. His parents were fine. I have assumed that he
had CD and it came from my fathe'rs side of the family.

*As I understand from years of going to celiac conferences, there is no
regular genetic pattern of inheritance, although it is clear that the
disease is inherited.  We may have to look further back in our genetic
family background to see other autoimmune d iseases like diabetes type
1, sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, addison's disease, myasthenia
gravis, possibly rheumatoid arthritis, and others.  I believe these are
all on gene 6.  There's about a 10 percent chance of first degree
relatives to have CD.  If celiac disease is in the family, one must test
at least first degree relatives with the blood screening antibody panel.

*OK!  The genetics of celiacs!  Here are my ideas!
Good question!   We are the oldest inhabitants
of Planet Earth ..... mainly O blood types .........
some A types are also prone, but have O ancestry.

Genetically our ancestry was Celtic looking; fair blue
eyed, and to support this theory I would mention that
it is considered a Northern European disorder, with
large pockets of celiacs in Ireland.

And I refer to the book by Dr. Peter D'Adamo called
        4 blood types, 4 diets
        Eat Right For Your Type
which is based on a study of blood types and their
food intolerances.  There are chapters on genetics in
the book!   Please summarize your findings

*I had the B-12 problem also and was told by a doctor the CD was much too
rare. I could not have it as I did not have diarrhea very often.I have over
forty cousins on my  mothers side of the family and none of them or their
children have it.

*I don't know  much about genetics, but I will tell you what the gastro told
me.

Both parents have to be carriers for a child to get the disease. One out of 4
children will get the disease, 3 will be carriers and one with be neither.

*Dr. Green out of Columbia U is doing Genetic Research specific to Celiac
Disease with 2 or more family members diagnosed with Celiac.  You can
call his office at 1-212-305-5590. Dr. Green will be in Rhode Island
speaking to our group on Sept 19 and you would be more than welcome.

  We are doing a blood screening for all 1st and 2nd degree relatives of
diagnosed Celiacs and Dr. Fassano out of the U. of Maryland will be
speaking about this study.  The date is June 5th but you must call me to
register. This is a free screening.   Call if interested 1-401-568-6110.

* Here is some info on genetics, I hope it is helpful

<A HREF="http://csaceliacs.org/genetics.html">CSA Library Series: Article #9
- Genetics and What's New in Research
</A>