From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:13:06 -0500

Subject: Re:  Graham crackers

This is a great graham cracker recipe I got from another list (I think I made a few minor changes- I used to make it with Bob's all purpose flour till the sorghum allergy popped up.)  They make really nice Teddy Grahams  that my kids eat when their playgroup has Teddy Graham day.  (Now, I'm working on a dairy free goldfish- will post when I perfect.)  My family members all love these.  Even my brother and dad ate these and liked them and didn't realize they were gluten free!
Janet

Teddy Grahams/Graham Crackers (Gluten Free)
(from GFCF Recipes Yahoo Group)

½ cup margarine or shortening ( I use Spectrum because it is soy free)
1/4 cup honey (can use part molasses)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups sorghum or millet or quinoa flour
1 ½ cups starches ( I use part tapioca & part arrowroot )
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp GF baking powder (Rumford & Featherweight are GF)
about ½ cup water

Mix shortening, honey, sugar and vanilla.  Mix remaining dry ingredients separately.  Stir dry into creamed shortening mixture alternating with the water a little at a time just so the dough forms a soft ball.  Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
Roll dough between two lightly GF floured pieces of wax paper to about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out small teddy bear shapes (I got my bear cutter at Michaels in the Noah's Ark mini cookie cutter set) and transfer to lightly greased, parchment lined or non stick baking sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.  Remove immediately from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.  Freeze in freezer container between sheets of wax paper.

If desired after removing from oven, brush lightly with honey for a honey graham.  I haven't tried it yet, but I thought of omitting the cinnamon and putting in some cocoa or carob powder to make chocolate teddy grahams or mini chocolate chips to make chocolate chip teddy grahams.

You can also make graham crackers with this recipe.  Just roll a big rectangle of dough on a piece of wax paper.  With a knife, cut dough into even rectangles, but don't remove from wax paper.  Pick up sheet of wax paper and dough and flip over onto baking sheet. No need to separate the rectangles..  Prick each rectangle with a fork several times evenly.  Bake at 325 degrees checking after five minutes.  As graham crackers on edges brown, remove them from the pan and cool on wire rack, returning remaining crackers to oven until done.  You can also use these for graham cracker crumbs for a crust for cheesecake, etc.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Subject: s'mores

My mom got one of those firebowls for her deck, and the boys
roasted/ate an entire bag of marshmallows this weekend!  We were
missing the essentials for s'mores, so I went looking for a
graham cracker recipe.  I used Rebecca Reilly's from
"Gluten-Free
Baking".  I had made them a few years ago, and forgotten how good
they are.  I also tried the chocolate variation for the first time;
they remind me of the Glutano Chocolate Os.  I will have to figure
out a cream filling for them, or maybe ice cream sandwiches, mmm-
but I digress.  I sprinkled mini chocolate chips on the graham
crackers before baking, so that all they need is a marshmallow.
Hopefully they will be less messy that way, too. In fact, we put
some back in the oven with marsmallows on them because we couldn't
wait! Just thought I would pass along a tried and true recipe to
anyone thinking toward summer treats.-Renae

Graham Crackers by Rebecca Reilly

1 cup GF flour blend (I used BH 4 Flour Bean Mix)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup quinoa or soy flour (sub 1/3 cup + 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
powder for chocolate grahams)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
3 to 4 Tbsp cold water
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla

mix dry ingredients together; work butter in with fingertips. Stir
in 3 Tbsp water, honey, and vanilla. Gather into soft ball. If dry
add a bit of water, 1 tsp at a time. (I turned it out on my silpat
and kneaded it together; it took a few minutes, but I didn't need
extra water) Refrigerate doughball at least one hour. Preheat oven
to 325 degrees; roll out dough to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into
2x3 inch squares, or use cookie cutters. Prick lightly with a fork
and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before baking for 12-15 minutes.
Produces about 4 dozen crispy crackers

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.

*******
*******