From:
Meredith McEver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meredith McEver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:57:26 -0400

Thanks for all the responses about my Sjogren's post. Among the
suggestions I received were:  1)there is a great forum at
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/ and
http://pub169.ezboard.com/bsjsworldforums, 2) silicone plugs put in
tear ducts leads to great imrovement in dryness, 3)Similisan,
homeopathic eye drops are effective,
4)A wonderful book to read is A Body Out of Balance  by Ruth Fremes and
Nancy Carteron. It can ordered from Amazon, 5)Fred Vivino at
Presbyterian Hospital at the Hospital of the Un. of PA is one of the
leading experts on the condition, 6)a humidifier and Mucinex (taken
with lots of water) really helps in winter when the heat dries the
atmosphere, 7) sjogrens is written about in The Gluten Free Bible by
Jax Lowell in chapter called The Seven-Year Itch, 8)Sjogren's can
affect people to a minor degree, or be a full blown systemic
disease causing damage to major organs, etc.  Most people do not have
systemic problems, 9) Biotene (www.biotene.com or at target) is a
gluten free toothpaste for people with Sjogren's, 10) dry mouth is also
caused by medication, being dehydrated and dry houses, and 11) from
redherring @tnaccess.com the following post:Have you tried playing with
magnesium to see if it helps with the dryness?  The reason I ask is
that dryness of mucus membranes seems to be a symptom of magnesium
deficiency.  And I have been dying to find someone with Sjogren's to
test my theory that adding Mg will have at least some effect on the
symptoms.  The fact that Braly and Hoggan mention Mg deficiency as
extremely common in celiacs only has me more curious.    To taste test
for your Mg status, stir 1/8 tsp Epsoms salts into 8 oz water.  Taste.
If thick or sweet, you are extremly deficient.  If neutral,
you need Mg.  Only when it turns bitter do you know for sure that you
have enough in your system.  Please let me know what you find when you
try this. Could help a lot of people if Mg is involved.

Meredith