From:
Andrea Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:08:57 -0600

Thank you all of you who responded to the following post:

>I have a cereal that is "wheat-free" but doesn't indicate if it is GF. One of the ingredients is corn bran, does anyone know if this is GF?

Here are the responses:

Corn bran should be ok, but be careful. "Wheat free" doesn't mean gluten
free. Friends bought me wheat free fig Newton's thinking they were doing
me a favor. When I read the ingredients, however, I saw barley and rye.
Oops! I had to politely decline their kind offer.

corn bran is gf, but look at sweeteners...that's where gluten usually hides

A call to the manufacturer is in order.
Corn bran is gluten-free, however you need to be concerned about the risk of contamination.  Malted cereal syrup and barley or rye flakes are wheat-free and may be used in other products the company makes.  Unless special care is taken, your corn cereal may contain traces of gluten.  Flour products are especially tricky since flour can stay suspended in the air for a long time & settle on all surfaces much later.

Bread Shop is one of the companies that makes cereals with no gluten on the label but they are not g.f.  Company response:  "In reply to your inquiry, our Breadshop products are not made in a gluten free facility.  We are aware that many of our
customers share your concerns, so they are working on including this information on the product labels in the future.   Additionally, each facility has a strict allergen program which cleanses the lines before and after each production run. However, we cannot guarantee that these products are  100 % gluten free."

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email or destroying this facsimile immediately.