From:
Diane Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:04:40 -0600

        I also wrote to mycereal.com after visiting the site.  The
response I got still did not indicate the least awareness of celiac
disease and what was involved in following the gluten free diet.  I did
indicate an allergy to wheat when I was choosing my cereal blend, and
yet was still offered wheat containing cereals.  Of course, there was no
where to indicate a sensitivity to gluten.  I guess all we can do is
keep trying to educate.  The letter I received is below and the one I
sent follows.

Dear Ms. Humphrey:

Thank you for contacting MyCereal.com with your inquiry.  Your feedback is
very important to us and your comments will be shared.

If you are allergic to such ingredients as dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, egg,
wheat, or soy, please indicate this fact on the survey at mycereal.com.  We
will not recommend a cereal that contains any of the allergens you
identified.  If you purchase the cereal, we will blend the product in a
manner that will preserve the safety of the product.  As with all General
Mills cereals, if one of the six most common allergens is present, it will
be indicated on the package label.  Please see the complete ingredient list
included in the shipping container for a detailed listing of ingredients.
Most food starches, including modified starches too, have little or no
protein, so these should not cause allergic reactions.  However, just as
allergic consumers may choose to avoid soy or peanut oils that have been
highly refined and which should not cause reactions, so too consumers may
wish to avoid certain starches.  Each individual has a different
level/threshold for an allergic reaction.  To assist in their food choices,
many food processors source label their starch, e.g., "modified corn
starch."

Our primary goal is helping you determine whether or not you can include our
products in your diet, and to provide accurate information.  We believe this
is best accomplished by referring to the specific ingredients listed on each
product package.  Look at the ingredient label for wheat, barley, rye, or
other sources of gluten.  If you don't see any of these listed, then the
product would be gluten-free, as are our current formulations of yogurt
products.  This is the most current information for your needs.  Additional
information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your health care
professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association of United States of America, Inc.
PO Box 31700
Omaha, NE  68131-0700
402-558-0600

We hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,
Consumer Services

>Original Message From: [log in to unmask]
>
>This site looked like a good idea until I realized none of the cereals were
gluten free.  I do appreciate you having an ingredient listing available, as
I might have actually designed a cereal and bought it without realizing it
contained gluten.  I had thought I would be safe ordering the soy flakes,
but both forms have some form of gluten in them.  There is a huge market for
gluten free foods in this country.  I have celiac disease as do four of my
children.  We must adhere to a gluten free diet to avoid damage to our
intestines.  Your company should look at making some of your cereals gluten
free.  It would be a great benefit to the celiac community.  Thank you,
Diane Humphrey