From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:46:28 -0400

Some people have "hereditary fructose intolerance".  Fructose damages
their liver.  This is rare and not associated with CD afaik.

But, there's "dietary fructose intolerance" which is quite common, and
is associated with CD.  Somehow the inflammation from gluten intolerance
causes fructose intolerance.  I think DFI is also associated with other
food intolerances.  I've been gluten-free for 2 years but i had been
living with other severe food intolerances without knowing it - and I
seem to be somewhat fructose intolerant.

When i eat too much sugar (sucrose) or fructose I get abdominal pain, gas,
and it seems like, I feel depressed the next day.  It's a little hard to
tell about moods, people feel sad and depressed without biological causes - but
sugar does seem to depress me.  Sucrose is half fructose.

A research study connected dietary fructose intolerance and depression.
see http://www.lightlink.com/lark/fructose-mal.html

I used fructose for 25 years for "hypoglycemia", which means i would get
anxiety, tension, hostility, hunger from carbohydrates, especially
high-glycemic carbohydrates, like sugar.  It was almost magical in fixing
these reactions ... at the time i thought that was because fructose is
slowly ocnverted to glucose in the liver, so it gives a steady, slow supply
of glucose.  I doubt that now.  I'm severely allergic to corn, probably a
few micrograms of corn protein is enough to cause me an allergic reaction,
and somehow, my allergic reaction to the corn fixed the anxiety.  (Agave
syrup, a corn-free source of fructose, doesn't do this).

I was literally addicted to fructose!  One time i ran out of it, so I was
eating cherries (which I later turned out to be allergic to) because
cherries have a lot of fructose; I got incredibly jittery, couldn't move
from one minute smoothly to the next.  The health food store had run out
of fructose ... i made a special trip to another store for more.  When I
got home and ate some of it ... instant relief and calmness.

I wasn't able to quit fructose on elimination diets, I was addicted.
After i went gluten-free I was still using fructose.  Slowly during 2003 i
tapered off on the fructose; having an intuition that this addiction was
a problem.

And ... you know something ... for 20 years or more I had gone into
despair, so often, crying and feeling totally hopeless and like killing
myself.  But after I quit the fructose that didn't happen any more.  Blue
feelings come back after i eat too much sugar.

i thought for a while my despair had gone away after 2003 because I was
using omega-3 fish oil supplements.  Fish oil is also good for depression.
But i'm not using fish oil any more.

When i went on a corn-free diet HUGE numbers of other food intolerances
became visible.  I mean, i'm intolerant to like 30 or 100 other foods
depending on how you count them ... If it's allergenic AT ALL I have an
allergy to it.

Fish is one of the other reactions.  I got severely ill in January after
3 oz. of fish.  Three days ago, i ate *ONE FISH OIL CAPSULE* and I got
pretty sick too!  Those are 1-gram capsules - there *can't* be much fish
protein in a *GRAM* of oil.

But i haven't felt despairing, even with no fish oil!  I'm eating a
high-carb low-fat relatively low-protein diet, which is also good for your
serotonin (high serotonin = good mood).  Maybe that helps too.

It's funny - i used to eat fructose a lot because of "hypoglycemia" - now
i'm searching out sources of *glucose*!!!

My "hypoglycemic" reactions to carbohydrates went away after I eliminated
the many, many new food intolerances I found.  Glucose is pretty much fine
with me, even though it has a very high glycemic index.  I have been
trying to eat starch instead of sugar when I get cravings for sweets (low
blood sugar or whatever that is).

What "hypoglycemia" is usually, is excessive insulin in response to carbs.
Then the body makes adrenaline & maybe cortisol to compensate for the
excess insulin, and one feels anxious, tense, embattled & hungry because
of that.

The excessive insulin response is thought by some doctors to be usually,
a symptom of food intolerance.  i.e. the food-intolerance reactions to
proteins, for some reason, make the pancreas secrete too much insulin when
it sees a carbohydrate.  Brostoff and Gamlin's "Food allergies and food
intolerance" talks about this.

Anybody who has carbohydrate-intolerance problems ought to try an
elimination diet to find their other food intolerances, other than gluten.

And you know, the despairing feelings when they happened, and the anger
reactions to foods - seem so natural.  They don't seem like fake feelings,
they come with circumstances and thoughts to justify feeling that way.  I
was a real believer in the importance of processing feelings for many, many
years (still am) - and many people, like me, spend many years and tens of
thousands of dollars on therapy fruitlessly trying to get at the deeeep
psychological roots of their emotional pain ... when it has physical
causes.

People who think they have candida overgrowth may be suffering from
fructose intolerance.  Lots of ppl get "sugar blues" and a low-sugar diet
helps - well, maybe what they need is a low-fructose diet and glucose is
OK.  Same for people who do well on low-carb diets - that's also,
accidentally, a low-fructose diet.  I've never tried seriously eliminating
fructose, i still eat fruit - it's possible that a seriously
low-fructose diet would have more good effects.

Fructose has a lot of bad health effects generally - it's preferentially
metabolized to fat, while glucose goes more to replenish your glycogen
stores.  Fructose raises triglycerides, may cause osteoporosis etc. etc.

if you aren't allergic to corn, corn syrup, the kind that hasn't been
partially converted to fructose, is a good source of glucose.  Also you
can buy dextrose (glucose) that's made from corn.  For me, I'm looking
for corn-free and fructose-free glucose syrup (please no emails
telling me about no-calorie sweeteners, i already know about them).  Starch
is a glucose polymer and you can hydrolyse starch with acid or with enzymes to
make a glucose syrup.  So i maybe will do that to tapioca starch or
arrowroot starch, which i can eat :)  i'd like to indulge a taste for
sweets without punishment the following day.  There's a tapioca syrup at
http://www.naturesflavors.com which might do :)

Laura