Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:16:36 EDT

A couple of things have happened lately and I want to pass along what I know.
I was away from the list for awhile so perhaps this is nothing new.

1. We like to drop in at Burger King for their great GF french fries from time
to time. A surprise awaited us on our last visit.  About  20% of our order was
ONION RINGS !!! (Not GF as I understand) Enquiring at the counter as to
whether they were or were not using separate oils for  FF and OR, they said
yes, however they dump the hot fries into adjacent bins and sometimes they
spill over. Yikes!  The lady in charge did fix us a fresh batch, carefully
handled (and carefully checked)

2. I notice that many bags of apples (I eat one every day so as to keep THOSE
people away) carry an almost hidden message across the bottom (In small, dark
print so that it looks like a seam in the bag) that says "coated with a food
grade vegetable product, or shell-lac resin".  Its hard for me  to feel that
the food industry is not being devious since all the other labeling on the
bags is gaudy, bright and attention getting.

I always appreciate tips and alerts I find on this list and I feel bad when I
hear of some of the awful experiences people have getting diagnosis and help.

Tom Vickrey