Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:45:40 -0700

I am skeptical about the latest reports on arsenic and rice.  If
arsenic is in the soil, doesn't that mean it has been in the soil for
years?  Therefore, we have been eating it for years.  Is arsenic
found in rice lower in countries that did not use any type of
pesticide on their cotton crops if cotton is related to the "problem"?

So often, reports are published and blown way out of proportion.  The
news stations have to fill the time and they will milk a story that
may be based on junk science or possibly only reporting information
and letting people make their own conclusions.  If they report any
food has a high level of anything in it, people will automatically
assume that is negative and stop eating that food.  How do we know if
the tests performed were accurate?  How do we know if the levels
found are dangerous?  Who is setting these standards?

I take these reports with a grain of salt.  For decades were were
told fat was bad.  The news went on and on about negative aspects of
fat.  Now we are faced with an obesity epidemic and children with
lower test scores related to the low-fat diet.  Children must have
fat to develop their brains.  You can throw all the money you want at
the schools but unless the nutrition of the kids is improved, test
scores and American innovation will continue to drop.

Last week we were told their is no nutritional difference between
organic and non-organic foods.  No scientific research study should
start out its report stating the cost difference between foods.  Cost
is not an aspect of a scientific study relating to nutrition.  Cost
is only a factor in a study on business.  The other problem, is
quantity is not as important as quality.  Organic foods have to
naturally fight off pests and weeds, their nutrients are naturally
stronger than the non-organic foods that never exercise their natural
defenses.  The reports said nothing about the % of non-organic food
that are tested with residual pesticides.

I just don't trust these reports on the news.  Who funded the arsenic-
rice study?  Was it the wheat/grain industry who is getting nervous
about the amount of rice being used in gluten-free products?  I
always question the source and the science.  We have been duped and
lied to before by big business in order for them to produce a bigger
profit.  How many people have gotten sick or died from this
supposedly rice problem?

As gluten-free foods sell more and more, be prepared for more
backlash from the gluten-producing community.  Question everything!

Brendan
Nutritional Consultant