From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:05:38 -0800

Hi folks, I've been GF now for exactly one month. Yay for me! I've also been
restricting my diet significantly to see if I am sensitive to other things.
Something very interesting has happened;

A couple weeks or so into the into the GF diet, I decided to REALLY restrict
for a couple weeks. I've been eating nothing but turkey, white rice, and
cooked pears for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. A few days on this very limited
diet and I still had a good amount of gas (coming out my bum) but amazingly
it was completely odorless. Mind you, I started suspecting gluten problems
when my IBS gas suddenly began peeling paint several years ago. On top of
that, since going to the turkey, rice, and pears, my CRAZY stomach noises
that I've had for a year or so have been reduced significantly!

Then yesterday out of nowhere my gas started getting a little foul again.
Not as bad as before the diet, but more foul than the literally odorless its
been since really restricting. I have a couple of theories about what might
be going on, and I thought I'd ask some of the more inquisitive types what
they thought.

- Perhaps it was the elimination of gluten/wheat that led to the odorless
gas and reduced stomach noises. Perhaps it just took a couple weeks for the
effect to kick in, and the timing of no odor/low noise with the very
restricted diet was just a coincidence?

- Perhaps gluten or no gluten, reducing my diet to a few simple foods
stopped feeding whatever bacteria was causing the smells and noise, and now
the bacteria are resilient and are adapting to the restricted diet, and now
growing back (hence the return of some smell).

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I was about to start adding stuff
back in to see how react until the smell started coming back! Now I'm not
sure what to do.

Any insight? (sorry for being gross)