From:
Patty Vollherbst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:53:25 -0400

Inspired by Carol Fonken, I too am ignoring my better judgment and joining
in the discussion.

Much as we would like it to be otherwise, much about medicine is not
black and white, but gray.  Pick any disease, any condition, and you
will find educated, well-intentioned, not-with-a-financial-interest
experts who disagree on some issues.  An example in the case of celiac
disease is whether distilled vinegar (distilled from wheat) is safe.
Another example is whether malt extract is safe.  When I was first
diagnosed, I wondered if I was going to have to quit my job and become
a gastroenterologist, a chemist, or a botanist just so I could figure
out what I could eat!

I have found this list useful in my decision-making process of what I
can and can't eat. I find it most useful when people say where they
got their information, and why they think it's so.  I also find it useful
if they mention any pertinent area of expertise they have.  For example,
I once posted a question about a blood test result, and was glad to have
someone who worked in a blood bank respond.  I take all of this information
into account when evaluating different points of view and deciding what
to do for myself.

I hope what's happened in the last few days won't prevent people from
posting different points of view.  As long as things are labeled "I believe
x because of y" and phrased politely I am interested in what ANYONE has to say.
I believe that if information flows freely, we'll all benefit.

So.... phrase 'em carefully, don't put in advertisements, but keep those
posts comin' !!!
                                        Patty V. in NJ