From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:23:47 -0600

Thank you to all who replied.  I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.  Unfortunately, I spent 15 hours in the emergency room with my Mom yesterday and just will not have time to try to make rolls for Thanksgiving, but will sure give it a try for Christmas.   Here are the responses that I received.
Happy Eating and I hope everyone has a "celiac safe" Thanksgiving.
Rita

kinnikinik or how ever you spell it (google will figure it out :) ) has this awesome mix that you take a couple teaspoons of and mix with water, oh just water and viola instant single serving bun..... and they are good too! it says you can make a loaf out of it but i have only done buns.

I'm not a big dinner roll fan but Kinnickinnick has an incredibly easy mix
that requires you to only add water.  THey taste pretty good & look like
wheat rolls.

If you don't find a recipe you can buy one already done at Kinninnick.  Rice
Tray Buns.  It's too late for Thanksgiving but you could try them for
Christmas.

Why don't you send me your family's recipe and I'll see if I can figure out a conversion?  In the meantime, have you tried 1-2-3 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuits or Aaron's Favorite Rolls -- both are delicious and would be great for Thanksgiving.

Kimberlee Ullner
1-2-3 Gluten Free
www.123glutenfree.com

Make your rolls before Thanksgiving, so you will know how they turn out.  You could freeze them.  Then just heat them up in the microwave.

Another idea!!  You could use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free bread mix.  I mix it by hand.
Spoon onto a cookie sheet globs of the bread mixture.  Let it rise in the oven. Then bake it.
This would be good!!  I buy my Bob's Red Mill GF Bread Mix at the regular grocery store in the flour section.

I don't know your particular recipe but I always use GF pantry's country
french bread mix as a stright 1-1 substitution for flour and usually
everything comes out great.   If the recipe calls for more than 2 Cups of
flour I ususally cut the recipe and make smaller batches.  Hope that helps.

I use Bob's Red Mill "wonderful Bread Mix as written.  I allow it to raise  in the mixing bowl and then I will add enough extra flour to roll as bread dough.  Roll out in9'' circle and then cut  like a pie and roll up into cresant rolls.  Place on cookie sheet baste with butter and bake for 15 -18 minutes.

I would suggest you to ask your question at the Delphi CD Forum:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, doctors included.
Moreover, I have posted thousands of GF recipes, among them my "Best of Mireille":  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2

White bread is one of the things you should not try to convert.  You have to make too many changes.  You also need a form so rolls keep their shape.  I use tuna fish cans but they make bigger rolls then dinner rolls.  You could make something out of heavy aluminum foil.
I use the recipe from one of Bette Hagman's cookbooks with the Featherlight mix that I make myself.  She may have suggestions for dinner rolls in one of her cookbooks.  Most libraries have some of her cookbooks