From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:38:56 +0100

Hi everyone,

Does anyone out there speak Japanese or has anyone visited Japan while on a
GF diet?

I will be travelling to Japan for a 3-week holiday on 27th. September,
starting in Tokyo and heading towards Kyoto and Hiroshima.  While I am
really looking forward to the trip, I am quite nervous about the
difficulties the GF diet will present.  My daughter travelled there recently
and says it it quite a challenge even for a vegetarian (which I am also) as
most people there don't speak English and it is difficult to make dietary
needs understood.

I would love to hear general advice/tips from anyone who has lived/travelled
in Japan but specifically I would be grateful if someone could translate a
short restaurant card into Japanese (I will supply the English if anyone
emails me privately).  I have travelled  to many other countries since my CD
diagnosis, so I don't really need general travel advice, but this is the
first time I feel language and unfamiliar food could combine to be problem.

I have searched the archives and the internet in general but the info I
found was a little sketchy and the only restaurant card I came across looked
very vague in the English version.

Any and all advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Best GF wishes,
Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland