From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 21:30:48 -0600

Gigi Sorenson asked about type I diabetics with CD ...

"My question to the list is, are there any other type I diabetics who are also
CD? It is an interesting dilemma to have both the requirements of a diabetic
diet plus a GF diet."

Yes, I've been a Type I since 1962; celiac was diagnosed last summer. I've
always had a real "buffer" against sugars going high. A doc I was talking
to last week said, "Sure, you were suffering from malabsorption." So now
I'm trying to re-tweak 30+ years of practices with everything working
reasonably well after a year g-f. I still have a ways to go, but have
learned to prioritize: G-f considerations ALWAYS come first! I can always
take more insulin ...

On the other hand, last summer when things finally came to a crisis point,
my BGs were totally wacky--really high highs and really low lows--probably
due to stress and anemia. That has finally leveled out, also probably due
to the fact that I can again exercise with some iron (and all those other
good vitamins and minerals) in my system.

I'm sure you have been referred to the article in this month's Forecast
magazine... Some interesting considerations for us!

Take care.

Sue de LC
Who got "poisoned" on Saturday eating some salad at a meeting that I guess
came out of a bag from the grocery store. Sure did provoke an intense
reaction!

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]
THE LAW OF REQUISITE VARIETY: The person who has one more alternative than
the number of obstacles s/he faces eventually will triumph. (Anon.)