From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:13:38 -0400

In my experience of surviving celiac disease for more than 70 years, it
appears to me that the disease has "punished"  me for eating gluten in any
shape, form, or even in trace amounts over time.  At 44, when I was
diagnosed, I thought that I was eating gluten free.  I was not.  When
knowledge improved through support groups, I thought that I was gluten
free.  I was not!  In 1993 when I had complaints,  I was told by a well
known Boston doctor that I was tested gluten free.  I was not!  He
neglected to tell me that the test was not very accurate!  Finally, after
I lost 15" of my small intestine in two subsequent operations , I found a
research paper indicating that most of the blood pressure pills had trace
amounts of wheat starch in them.  I have had to assume that even "trace"
amounts had an additive effect on my gut.

This experience has now led me to  "assume" that gluten has an additive
effect even in such "trace" amounts as in the "natural flavors"  of the
fruit in a product such as Stonyfield's  non fat yogurt.  They informed me
that they could not guarantee the supply of "natural flavors" was gluten
free.

I also assume that this additive effect of gluten will do it's damage
eventually, if not sooner.  My working theory is that every celiac must
aim for Absolute O input of gluten since no matter how hard we try, we
cannot possibly reach it.  It is impossible to stay absolutely
knowledgable about ingredient changes in foods and medecines since the
companies continually change .

What I would now like to know is whether there is any agreement among
celiac disese researchers as to whether gluten in "Trace Amounts" is
additive in the body as I have assumed.  I am not looking for opinions but
hard evidence as referenced in research papers or studies.

Hal De Bruyn in Boston