From:
Robert Gillen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 16:00:50 -0400

Bernie Mansbach wrote:

>>Thats why it will be difficult to ever get enough research to get a cure.
>>The medical establishment feels there is already a cure ie the GF diet.

Not trying to sound too cynical, but I'm not sure what we can expect
from the medical establishment. Celiac is a genetic disease. There are
only two ways that I can think of (I'm not a doctor but have a fairly
good knowledge of the physiology of the Celiac gut) that a "cure" could
be found. The first is to ingest something with the gluten containing
food that would bind in your intestine with whatever causes the immune
reaction and thus prevent the reaction to occur. This seems very risky
at best, since it only takes a few misses to cause damage to you
intestine. The second is some kind of treatment which alters your
genetic make-up so that you don't get the immune response. I don't
think I would ever want that treatment.

Also, given the fact that Celiac disease is funded (in the U.S. anyway)
by the same agency that funds some much more devestating diseases such
as AIDS, I won't hold my breath for a cure in my lifetime, and I'm only 34.

My complaint is more against the labeling laws in this country that
make it very difficult to determine if something is gluten-free or not.
I think it is much more likely that we Celiacs could make gains in this
area than in the area of a cure.

Sorry for the length, but I thought I'd weigh in with my $.02,

Bob Gillen