From:
"Vicki E. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki E. Jones
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:53:44 -0600

Dear Listmates -
I modified a regular Irish Soda Bread recipe in the Chicago Tribune to come
up with this. I just took it out of the oven a short time
ago. It is delicious.

4 & 1/2 cups Pamela's Pancake & Baking mix (already has baking powder in
it)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 oz (3/4 of a stick) butter or GF margarine
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup clover honey or other GF honey
1 egg, beaten
1 to 2 cups dried fruit - raisins, dried cranberries, currants,
and/or dried pineapple bits - whatever you prefer

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Grease a large rectangular or square baking pan,
or you can use a large cast-iron skillet.

Cut up the butter or margarine into tiny bits. Dump in
the Pamela's baking mix, baking soda, and salt, and mix
it thoroughly to distribute everything evenly. Add the beaten
egg, honey, and buttermilk and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the baking pan or skillet and spread evenly.
Bake 30-45 minutes, until top is golden brown, and until
a long toothpick or skewer comes out clean when inserted
in the middle.

I found that 425 was a little too hot - but that is my oven.
It is old and the temperature isn't what is says, and it
bakes everything unevenly. I had to turn it down to 375 or
400 after about 22 minutes. So keep track of it. It may take
longer or shorter, and your oven may have to be cooler than
425 after the first 20 minutes.

-Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL