From:
Sandy Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:36:30 EDT

Thanks so very much to everyone who responded to my request for Chicago
dining opportunities.  I didn't have time to compile a summary before the  trip
but I want to pass on the recommendations I received for the benefit of  others
planning to visit Chicago soon.

The place most enthusiastically recommended was Da Luciano, which offers
g.f. pizza, pasta, breads and desserts.  Also recommended were:
Venus Greek
Chicago Diner
Swirtz Bakery - G.F. cupcakes
Adobo - Mexican
Vinci - Italian
Whole Foods
Wildfire
Weber Grill
BenePao
Stir Crazy
American Girl Place (G.F. scones, sandwiches - need to order ahead of  time)

Also, thanks to Eve who sent a compilation of eating places too numerous to
mention, that included all of the above and many, many more. Clearly, Chicago
has many wonderful places in which to eat gluten free - I'll have to go back
there to try more of them!

Unfortunately, we only managed to get to 2 of the places listed:  Weber Grill
and Whole Foods.   We stayed at the Westin on  Michigan Ave. where my husband
was attending a conference.  While it's a  wonderful location for visiting,
we didn't have a car and therefore went to  places within walking distance,
albeit quite long distances!  We had a  great meal at Weber Grill.  Whole Foods
has a wonderful salad and hot food bar.  Nothing is actually labeled gluten
free but the ingredient lists make it easy to see if a dish is ok.

We ate breakfast twice at Johnny Rockets on N. Rush  Street.  They were happy
to toast my bread in my toaster bag and  even wiped it out before returning
it to me.  They made me a nice egg white  omlette (I watched the cook break and
separate the eggs so I know they were the  real thing without added flour).

At the West Egg, near the Sheraton, I had Clara's Salsa  from the healthy
menu: corn tortillas with scrambled egg whites, salsa and  cheese.  I asked them
to wipe out the skillet before cooking my food. I  don't know whether they did
or not, but I ate the food without any  problems.

In the Court Cafe at The Art Institute I had some wonderful carrot/apple
soup.  There was also fish and an interesting looking split pea pilaf that  I was
told contained no gluten.

Wanting to eat something fairly quickly before going to a concert at
Millennium Park, I went into My Thai across the street on Michigan Avenue.   The
waitress told me that everything was made with soy sauce, which found  hard to
believe because I eat quite a lot of Thai food and know there are  several dishes
made without it.  Eventually, she said the chef could make  me pad Thai
without soy sauce which I ordered.  I hadn't realized Thai food  could taste that
bad!  The sauce was gummy as though it had been thickened  with potato starch.
I ate just enough to stave off my hunger before paying the  admittedly small
bill and leaving - definitely a place to avoid!

My faith in Thai food was restored the next night when we found Quong  Noodle
on N. State Street.  Had a pretty good shrimp curry that I was  assured
contained no soy sauce.  Dinner for 2 with tip was a bargain at $30  plus change.

Apart from 2 small servings of gelatto, the only desert I had was an almond
meringue cookie from Puck's at the Contemporary Art Museum.  This was more  by
design than lack of dessert opportunity since I started going to Weight
Watchers a few weeks ago

I did walk into the American Girl to see about having tea and a scone or
sandwich, only to be told that G.F. choices need to be pre-ordered.    Also, the
prices there seemed to be outrageous.

At Chilli's on State Street, I had a nice meal - grilled salmon - from the
g.f. menu.