From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:41:12 -0800

Hi All--

This was a tough topic to put into the subject line,
so I hope you all will bear with me...

I was blood and biopsy tested for celiac two years
ago, then both were sent to Mayo for a second opinion.
Both reports were negative for celiac. Eighteen months
ago, they discovered my gallbladder wasn't functioning
and removed it, thinking the upper right abdominal
pain and bloating was the diseased gallbladder. No
such luck....

Earlier today, one of our listmates wrote, asking
about celiac and elevated liver enzymes. In the past
three months, I've been to the ER for excruciating
pain five times - my liver enzymes are now 20 times
higher than normal. I've been back on the gf diet
almost three weeks now and the pain is better, but the
liver enzymes are still high. (I'm having tests run on
Monday for liver disease.)

Now, my question is, if a person is not absorbing the
vitamins, minerals, nutrients necessary for the body
to function properly, is it possible to detect celiac
by running tests on the levels of nutrients in the
body? Granted, there are many types of malabsorption
disorders, but wouldn't it be feasible to run certain
tests on the nutrient content in one's body and make
some type of determination?

I'm a bit desparate here. My doc and I both know that
to get valid test results for celiac, I have to be
ingesting gluten, but when I go off the diet, I'm in
the ER vomiting and requiring demerol for pain
control.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If so, what
types of tests would be run to find out the levels of
vitamins and minerals in the body? (I'm sure my docs
know, but so far, I had to dx my own gallbladder
disease and find the connection that a gf diet equals
no pain, so I want to know how to help myself.)

Thanks for any info anyone can share...I'll summarize.

Cheers,
Ayn in Kansas