From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:30:17 -0800

  I am again placing the Angel Food Cake recipe on the list serv. I have had numerous questions, (not to mention one insult!) Hope this clears up those questions.

        ANGEL FOOD CAKE – GF     Easy & Delicious!!

I used my Kitchen Aid heavy duty mixer. this made it very easy and quick to beat the egg whites. Any mixer will work. I used to beat egg whites with a hand held mixer.

   14 large egg whites (1 c)

   1/2 c cornstarch

   1/2 tsp salt

   1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar

   1 c powdered sugar (10X sugar)

   1/2 c potato starch (this is the flour used in this recipe)

   2/3 c regular sugar

   2 tsp. almond extract

  ****  Egg whites must be at room temp. (Can put the eggs in a bowl of

hot water to bring them quickly to room temp.)

  Sift together: confectioners sugar, potato starch & cornstarch.  Set

aside.

  Measure regular sugar & set aside.

  Place in large glass bowl or metal bowl:  (Do Not use plastic bowls.)

egg whites, cream of tartar, salt. W/ mixer on high, beat

until mixture is well blended. Continue to beat, slowly adding the

regular sugar to the beaten egg whites.

 Beat just until sugar is dissolved & whites form stiff peaks.

   Gently fold in sifted potato starch, corn starch & confectioners

sugar mixture about one-fourth at a time, folding just enough so the

potato starch, corn starch & confectioners sugar mixture  disappears. Pour batter into ungreased tube pan & cut through to break any air bubbles.

Bake 35 min at 375°, or until tops springs back when lightly touched.

Remove from oven & invert pan to cool cake.  Remove cake only when

completely cool.

--------------------------------

  By the way, you can save the egg yolks and use for omelets, scrambled, French Toast, etc.

-----------------------------

 Some folks have suggested using pasturized Egg Substitutes . These cannot be used. See below cannot be used in place of egg whites in Angel Food.

Using egg substitute in place of eggs tends to make baked goods rubbery, because egg substitute has no fat. To improve the product's texture, add one teaspoon of canola oil for each egg replaced. Egg substitute can't be whipped and is much more expensive than regular eggs.  It doesn't work well in cheesecakes.  For more information, visit the Illinois Cooperative Extension Service's  Egg Substitutes page; for a recipe, visit its Homemade Egg Substitute page)

---------------- another great recipe for angel food cake that we love:

  Coffee Toffee Torte

  Angel food cake cut into 3 layers

  2 Heath or Skor Bars

  Topping: Whipped Cream or Large Cool Whip (12-16 oz.)

    1 ˝ Tbs. instant coffee

    1 small pkg. chocolate pudding (NOT instant)

    1 1/3 c. milk

  In saucepan, pudding, instant coffee and milk. Cook until thick,

stirring often.  Let cool.

  Mix into pudding ˝ tub of cool whip. Frost the middle two layers

with some of this.

  Mix remaining cool whip into remaining pudding mixture. Use this to

frost sides and top of cake. Crush candy and sprinkle over top of cake.

  Can also cut up cake and layer with pudding, cool whip to make a

torte.

  ------------------------------

  I have also made tortes out of Angel Food cake, vanilla pudding, cool

whip and cut up bananas layered.

The sky’s the limit when it comes to combinations for tortes. Can add

fruits, nuts, other flavors of puddings, etc., etc., etc.

--------------------------------

 My mom used to make me a "doll" cake out of angel food

cakes when I was little. Just get a doll and insert the

in the cake and frost the cake and decorate. Little girls love

this.

  These are all delicious and very easy recipes. My son and I are so

happy we have a delicious and easy Angel Food Recipe. The rest of

the family loved it too and could not tell it was gluten free!!

  Enjoy!

  Sandy