From:
Roger Buckmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 16:20:08 -0700

Thank you to all who wrote in response to my query ... and those with
some of their tried and true suggestions.

Dona J. Buckmann

... and I suggested Bette Hagman's book, The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and
Healthy." It's a great book with a lot of bread machine discussion ...

I bought a bread machine called:  Zojirushi Home Bakery Traditional, Model V-20.
I ordered this machine from Gluten Free Pantry in Glastonbury, CT. 06033.
Contact them at 1-800-291-8386, website:  www.glutenfree.com, email:

I bought one and its worked very well. As a matter of fact I have not
bothered programming it as many have suggested to eliminate one of the rise
cycles and have had good results. The biggest factor has been the amount of
moisture. If too wet it falls and is too dense. Don't add all of the water
at once. Save 1/4 to 1/3 of the water until afteringredients have been well
stirred in the machine and you can check the consistency.

I have this machine and I like it. I did a self program based on the mixes I
bought at Authentic Foods.

I have the Breadman that is a step down from yours.  It works just fine.
And although I used to bake a lot I never made bread.  A machine makes it
easy.  I buy the mixes from the Gluten Free Pantry, ...

I bought the Breadman Ultimate last fall and am thrilled with it!  I soon
ordered an extra bread pan and now use my machine to make both GF (for my
7-yr. old) and non-GF items, with excellent results.  (In fact, my GF breads
come out better than my wheat breads!) ....

I have this machine (maybe not the same model # -- I'm
not sure). The only problem that I know is that you can't set it
to rise only once. But I use it a lot and have had no problem. I
think if I'd known that I was supposed to get the kind that you
can program to rise once, I wouldn't have gotten this one, ...

I bought the breadman ultra 3 years ago, maybe an earlier model than
yours.  I use it frequently for gf and non gf bread, with excellent
results.  Mine needs a little bit of babysitting for the gf bread.

I have never tried the bread machine you mention, but I bought an
expensive Zojorushi bread machine right after I learned that I could no
longer use the wheat starch based bread mix I had used for about 20 years.
I made bread in the machine once, but since our breads take so many
ingredients, and since I didn't choose to use bread mixes, I learned to make
three or four loaves at a time from scratch so that I have some bread to
freeze with very little more effort than when I made only one loaf. ...

I have a machine called the Bread Box, made by Toastmaster which makes good
bread.  I bought it at Wal Mart for around $150.00 about 4-5 years ago.  You
can't always know if it's the machine or the recipe that is the problem.  So
many things come into play when making bread- humidity, flours,etc.  I don't
know about other machines.

I've used three, no four, different bread machines, all different brands and
they all worked fine.  The cost was from $49 to $120 plus.

I had a Breadman I liked very well, but we had a power surge and it fried
the computer chip ...

not familiar with that brand, I have the $179 Zojuroushi.  But as long as it
says programmable you should be ok.  What you need to be able to do is bypass
the second and third kneading.  YOu want mix, rise, bake.  Don't leave it in
the machine after it stops baking or it's soggy.

I don't really know anything about the machine you bought, but I do know
that the loaf has to be horizontal in the machine to work with GF bread.
Just thought I would share that info with you.

.... i now buy my bread at the local health
food store . Itis cheaper, almost as good and no cleanup. I also don't
have to think about mail order and freight charges.