From:
debi jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
debi jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:29:23 -0700

Dear LIstmates,
Please forgive the long time from when I posted my request for flat bread
to now.  I was gone for a week on a mission trip with our youth group and
it took me about a week before that to get ready.  Anyway, I got several
the recipies at home first and they really were palatable!  Thank you
everyone who took the time to share your ideas.  They are as follows:

6 people suggested using Ener-G communion wafers.
One person said her church uses Ener-G tapioca bread that is cubed.
These recipies were given to me as well as the web site you will see.
1.     GF MATZOH

From Sharon Marcus Matzoh; free of GF,LF,YF

1 cup GF flour mix (without leavening added: ie. baking powder, baking
soda, yeast, etc)
3 tsp. water
1 egg
pinch of salt

Mix ingredients well to get uniform "dough".
Add water if necessary.
GF flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a thinnish leaf.
Cut into squares, pierce with a fork, etc to make it look like the matzoh
we knew and loved and put it
straight on the rack of your oven or GF toaster oven.
Bake on high heat (around 440 F) until it just starts to turn brown. The
idea behind the matzo is that it be
baked within 18 minutes of adding liquid to the flour, and quickly on
high heat. From:

2.  Most flatbreads around the world (and in Jesus' time) were made
with any old grain. Most of the world does not grow wheat! Usually
it is not made with leavening, either. There are lots of recipes
for flatbread (do a search on "flatbread recipe), but the
authentic ones are all more or less the same.

Take some flour, add some water until it forms a paste or dough.
(I use sorghum plus a little Xanthan gum). Then cook it in
a dry frying pan. (or over a hot rock, if you are being authentic!).
Or fry in oil, like a pancake.

You can also make a thinner paste, spread it on an Exopat baking
mat (or baking parchment) and bake it.

In many cultures, the flour/water paste was fermented first, but
that would create "leavened" bread, which wouldn't go with
the Passover thread.

3.  Go to this site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
and look at the msg #16669.1
You'll find many pita and flat bread recipes

4.  Washington Wafers from Living Without Magazine appears in the last
year. One person said he tried them and they were good.

5.  I just put some GF flour in a mixing bowl, add a little salt, dash of
xanthan gum, olive oil and warm water. If you want, mix it so that you
can
handle it and roll it out. Bake it about 20 minutes at 375. Doesn't taste
that great, but it's not supposed to!

6.   Matzoh
Connie in NYC has given me permission to post her recipe for matzoh
1 cup potato starch
1 egg yolk
6T apple cider vinegar

Whiz it in food processor until a ball forms.
Cut into six sections, rolling each into a little ball
Flatten on parchment, cover with more parchment and roll out thin.
Prick with a fork.
Bake at 425F until solid and brown at edges. (3 per cookie sheet)
Peel from parchment and bake some more on the rack itself until browned
nicely

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.