From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 08:39:32 -0400

The last Hush Puppy recipe that I posted was from Z Pegasus <[log in to unmask]>.
Knowing that she had a computerized database of recipes, I asked her for
spoonbread recipes. This is her reply:

>Don,
>   Didn't even know that there was a gluten-intolerance mailing list <g>
>I don't have a specifically southern recipe database, I've just collected a
>TON of recipes since I got addicted to BBSing.  I am sending you all of the
>recipes that I have for spoonbread and additionally, I'm sending you all of
>the gluten-free recipes I've managed to collect, hope you like them!
>(I knew I saved those for a reason)  Let me know if there are any others
>that I can find for you, my friends on FidoNet and the Internet have always
>been able to find any recipe that I've ever wanted.
>     Bobbi

[Note from Don Wiss. I see two of them have flour in them, but I left them
here anyway.]

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Golden Spoon Bread
 Categories: Breads, Cheese
      Yield: 6 servings

     10 oz Cheddar; sharp, grated
      2 c  Milk
      4 ea Egg yolks; lg
      1 c  Corn meal; yellow
    1/4 c  Butter
      1 ts Sugar
    1/2 ts Salt
      4 ea Egg whites; lg

  Thoroughly grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.  Place the cheddar in
  a small bowl and set aside.  Scald the milk in the top of a double
  boiler. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored
  then set them aside.  When the milk is scalded, add the corn meal
  very gradually, stirring constantly.  Stir until the mixture thickens
  and becomes smooth. Remove the top of the double boiler from the
  simmering water and gradually add the beaten egg yolks, stirring
  constantly. Mix in the grated cheese, butter, sugar and salt. Beat
  the egg whites, in a small bowl, until round peaks are formed.
  Gently spread the beaten egg whites over the corn meal mixture then
  carefully fold together until just blended. Turn the mixture into the
  greased casserole dish.
   Bake at 375 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick
  or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of the
  dish. Serve piping hot with butter and maple syrup or honey.
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Spoon Bread
 Categories: Breads
      Yield: 6 servings

      2 c  Milk
      1 ts Salt
    1/2 c  Corn meal
      3 ea Eggs separated
      2 tb Butter
    1/2 ts Baking powder

  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 1 qt. casserole.

  Bring milk to a boil.  Add salt to cornmeal.  Add to milk. With wooden
  spatula, stir until thick, about 5 minutes.

  Beat in yolks, butter and baking powder.  Let rest a few minutes. Beat
  whites until stiff. Fold in. Place in casserole.

  Bake 40 minutes, until puffed.

  Serves 6
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Mexicali Spoon Bread Casserole
 Categories: Breads, Cheese
      Yield: 8 servings

MMMMM------------------------MEAT MIXTURE-----------------------------
  1 1/2 lb Lean Ground Beef
    1/4 c  Green Bell Pepper; Chopped
     15 oz Tomato Sauce; 1 Cn
  1 1/2 ts Salt
    1/8 ts Pepper
      1 c  Onion; Chopped, 1 Lg
      1 ea Clove Garlic; Minced
     12 oz Whole Kernel Corn; 1 Cn
      1 x  Chili Powder; To Taste
    1/2 c  Ripe Olives; Sliced

MMMMM----------------------CORNMEAL TOPPING---------------------------
  1 1/2 c  Milk
    1/2 ts Salt
      2 ea Eggs; Lg, Beaten
    1/2 c  Yellow Cornmeal
    3/4 c  Cheddar Cheese; Shredded

  Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Cook and stir the meat, onion, green
  pepper and garlic in a large skillet until the onion is tender and
  the meat is browned. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomato
  sauce, UNDRAINED corn, 1 1/2 ts salt, the chili powder, pepper and
  olives. Heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered,
  while preparing the cornmeal topping.  Mix the milk, cornmeal and 1/2
  ts salt in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until the
  mixture boils. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and eggs.
  Turn the hot meat mixture into an ungreased 2 1/2 to 3-quart
  casserole. Immediately pour the topping onto the meat mixture. Bake,
  uncovered, until a knife inserted in the topping comes out clean,
  about 40 minutes. Serve hot.
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Daniel Boone Tavern Spoon Bread
 Categories: Breads
      Yield: 6 servings

     30    To 35    minutes at 350
           - degrees or till lightly
           - browned. Serve warm

  Stir 2 cups milk, 1 cup canned cream corn with 1 cup water ground
  (yellow) cornmeal over med. heat to make a mush. Add 3 well beaten
  eggs, removing from heat at once. Beat well and add 1 TB baking
  powder, 1 tsp. salt, 2 TB butter (melted).  Beat 3 minutes; pour into
  greased 2-qt. casserole. Bake 6-8.

  Source:  Secret Restaurant Recipes * Duplicated by Gloria Pitzer
  Posted by Dar Rains
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
      Title: Mexican Spoon Bread
 Categories: Breads, Cheese
      Yield: 6 servings

      1 lb Can cream-style corn
    3/4 c  Milk
    1/3 c  Melted butter, bacon fat, or
           -chicken fat
      3 lg Eggs
      1 c  Coarsely ground cornmeal
    1/2 ts Soda
      1 ts Salt
      1 c  Grated Cheddar, Jack, or
           -Mozzarella cheese
      1 md Onion, minced and sauteed
           -(optional)

  Combine the cream style corn, the milk, melted butter or fat, and the
  eggs in a large bowl.  Blend thoroughly. Stir together the cornmeal,
  soda and salt to blend, and then stir into the liquid mixture,
  blending thoroughly. Pour half the batter into a buttered 9 inch
  square pan. Spread with the grated cheese, and the onion if used.
  Cover with the remaining batter, and if desired, sprinkle with more
  cheese and onion. Bake in a 400 oven for 45 minutes, or until browned
  and done. Cool slightly before cutting.