From:
MRS JANET RINEHART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 16:30:25 -0500

TO:             CSA Officers and Members

FROM:   Janet Rinehart, CSA President-Elect

        My friends, I am excited about the prospect of becoming
President of CSA/USA this next October in Dallas.  I believe I can
make a difference and improve the feelings of confidence in CSA, with
the help of the Governing Board.  I have a lot of common sense, belief
in the goals of CSA, and care a great deal about helping celiacs and
DH'ers on their journey to good health.  Many of you know that a new
celiac coalition is in development.  I believe that ultimately we
celiacs must speak with one voice in order to spread awareness about
the disease and get research funds.  We also believe CSA can play a
role in assisting this coalition.

        No one person has all the answers.  It takes assistance from
many committed people to carry through and expand the goals of CSA.
The current President Betty Elofson has asked for comments from the
chapter chairmen and members.  I encourage you to please consider
sending your ideas and comments soon to Betty at 212 South Balsam,
#201, Lakewood, CO 80226, and please send a copy to me.

        Many people criticize CSA, or any organization, but we need
constructive criticism with good ideas for spreading awareness of
Celiac Disease.  Your individual support of your local chapter and
membership in CSA leads toward that goal.  Do you know that $3 of
every membership can be rebated back to the local chapter?  Some
chapters use this rebate to purchase publications from CSA to
distribute to newly-diagnosed celiacs, members, and medical/dietetic
professionals.  CSA officers gladly assist chapter chairmen in
telephone calls and letters.  There is a lot of networking within CSA.

       The CSA publication CONNECTIONS gives information to all CSA
leaders with ideas and "business" data.  CSA memberships include a
subscription to the quarterly newsletter LIFELINE and the handbook,
"On The Celiac Condition, " where we get all the basic information.
Your local chapter supplies supplemental information.  If you are not
receiving LIFELINE, you are not getting complete information.  I urge
you to join CSA.

        I have heard comments about the lack of warmth from some
telephone people at CSA.  I have personal knowledge that many health
organizations do not have receptionists with the particular disease or
knowledge of the disease.  Therefore, the receptionist cannot answer
detailed questions.  However, I will again try to initiate a system in
the CSA office whereby every new person is referred to a local Region
Director or chapter chairman.  I don't believe this is done routinely.

        I believe the Governing Board deserves, according to the CSA
Constitutiton, to be included in more detailed communication between
the CSA office and Executive Committee.  Since the President curtailed
the Governing Board conference calls this year, no issues have been
presented to the Governing Board to vote on or offer comments.  I am
not happy about this new "policy."  I believe in full disclosure and
active communication.

        I believe we need to clarify the CSA newsletter policy paper
regarding distribution to "members" and mailing lists.  Zip codes do
not necessarily tell the whole story.  In most other health charities,
there is a basic fee for the national newsletter plus local
newsletter; however, any one has the option of subscribing to any
chapter's newsletter.  CSA is a health organization dedicated to
celiacs helping celiacs.  This motto implies individual celiacs
helping other celiacs (wherever they are) and encouraging them to get
complete information about Celiac Disease and the gluten-free diet.  I
believe the keys to good results on the gluten-free diet are advance
planning and seeking education about the disease and diet.  However, I
understand the basic concern of CSA's wanting only to disseminate
correct information.  What do you think about chapter newsletters and
CSA's LIFELINE?  Do you have some ideas about improving LIFELINE?

        I also urge you and your members to attend a celiac
conference, hopefully the CSA conference in Dallas, October 4-6, 1996.
The conferences are geared to newly-diagnosed celiacs and DH'ers,
"old- timers", and families with celiac children -- in short, all of
us!  The lectures are extremely informative, even for old-timers.  I
enjoy the contact with the officers -- old friends by now -- and
making new friends.  Everyone has some special hint to share that
makes dealing with sprue a little more palatable.  Being able to sit
down and eat everything in front of you is wonderful!  Being able to
express opinions and meet CSA leaders is valuable for all parties.  I
hope to meet you all.  Y'all come on down to Texas!

P. S. Remember to write!  Thanks!

Janet Y. Rinehart       Houston, TX  77042-2606
11011 Chevy Chase       713/783-7608
        E-mail:  [log in to unmask]