From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 01:24:42 -0400

>"Does anyone know of a GF and Dairy Free Milk in the Pittsburgh, PA area?
>I am sick of drinking Soy Milk and I called Lactaid and they recommended not
>using any Lactaid product because they feed there cows wheat and there is a
>probability of trace amounts of gluten in the milk."

Wouldn't this mean that ALL milk was suspect, since milk cows commonly are
fed grain? Is there any scientific evidence that the gluten can cross
directly into the milk? It sounds like Lactaid might be trying to protect
themselves legally. Does anyone know of scientific research regarding other
substances crossing into milk? For example, do people with allergies to
grasses have problems with milk from cows that have been fed grass-based
hay???

If this is correct, this would put a whole new light on celiacs being
"lactose intolerant".

Carl