From:
"Spivack, Lisa M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:09:00 PST

Dear Listmates,

I received numerous responses to my pre-New Year's Eve posting asking
whether martini ingredients and liquors were GF.  It seems that we all
love a good drink!  FYI, the following summarizes the various questions
and responses that I received:

1.  Luksusowa is the potato vodka that I generally use.  I find that it
tastes just as good as the more expensive Chopin potato vodka.  Also, for
those who crave the Stoli flavored vodkas, if you split a vanilla bean
and leave it in the bottle, you get a wonderful tasting vanilla vodka.
 The same holds true with berries and citrus.

2.  Grand Marnier is GF, as it is made from Brandy (grapes).  I tried it
and had no ill effects.

3.  I am waiting for a return call from Seagrams (212-572-7000) which
manufactures Godiva chocolate liquor.  Many people wrote to tell me that
they believed it was GF and had tried it with no no reactions, but I have
not yet heard definitively whether it is GF.  I will let you know.
     I took a chance and could not resist trying a sip of a chocolate
martini on New Year's Eve.  I felt fine and for those of you who asked,
it was worth it!  The recipe (since many asked) is one large shot of
regular or vanilla vodka, and one smaller shot each of Godiva chocolate
liquor and creme de cacao (which can be omitted if you use the vanilla
vodka).  Garnish with a chocolate kiss.  Very sweet,  but potent!

4.  One person wrote to tell me that he doesn't chance vodka martinis in
restaurants, instead favoring rum martinis and tequila martinis.
 Personally, I have had a sake martini with a twist of lemon which was
very tasty.

Thank you all for your responses and I hope you all had a wonderful New
Year's Eve and will have an even better year.  I will make further posts
as I receive more information.

Lisa in NYC