From:
Sandra J Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:11:53 -0400

BE PREPARED!

This is something that we can all do for ourselves. Put together a
packet of your own.  This packet could contain a copy of a short
blurb on celiac disease (DH), all medications you are currently taking
(with current date). Who your doctor/s is-address phone numbers.
Who to notify in case of emergency....don't forgot to put down office
numbers also.  Copy of a letter from your doctor explaining you
have celiac disease and the need to be on a gluten-free diet.  A
short list of gluten-free products is also helpful.  Work up a list
of gluten-free liquid diet foods etc.  These don't need to be extensive,
keep it short and simple.  Have the address of Ener-G Foods so the
dietician will know where 2 slices of gf bread can be ordered...not
necessary to purchase a whole loaf.
All this information can be placed on index cards (always dated) so
that the information can be updated at anytime.  Don't forget the
name of the pharmacy you use that you find helpful and understands
your restrictions.
All the above information can be placed in plastic zipped bags and
a copy kept in each family vehicle, boat, suitcase, vacation house,
motorhome, camper, motorcycle etc.  Let each family member know just
where the celiac baggies are kept.  One never knows when that
emergency will take place.
BE PREPARED!

It has been my experience that no matter how much the dietician
seems to know about a gluten-free diet when you are in the hospital,
mcuh of the problem seems to come from the food service staff.  They
don't know about the gluten-free diet so are not aware what items
should be left off foods etc.  Have spoken with many dieticians
in area  hospitals and they too agree this is a big problem. The
turn-over is very great with food service handlers and hard to keep
teaching the same information over and over each week.

This was tried at a local hospital...the dietician and I (the celiac
patient) held a talk each month to inform the food service staff
why they must pay proper attention to any order sent them by the
dietician.  In my case as patient in this hospital, on a gluten-free
diet was given a beautiful chefs salad that I could not eat.  The
dietician wrote up an order for a green salad with tomato but no
dressing.  When I was given the opportunity to speak with the food
handler that filled this order...his remark was that he felt very
bad for the patient having just plain greens/ a tomato but no dressing.
He took it upon himself to make a delicious looking chef's salad
with all the fixings!  Hence, not the dieticians fault at all.
These talks were discontinued at this hospital because of the change
in food service staff help.  I was having to go to speak with the
staff at least once a week.

I don't know that there is any one solution to this problem but we
sure can all do our part by being prepared!

Sandra J Leonard [log in to unmask]
GF Baker     Fairborn, OH  USA