From:
Aviva Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 08:54:27 -0500

I'm wondering if there is any link between problems wearing contacts and
with contact lens solutions and Celiac.  I have a bad stigmatism and
very sensitive eyes.  I want to get contacts again, but am curious if
there are any specific brands of contact lenses or solutions that others
use without problems.

My first pair of contacts were hard gas permeable lenses that were
extremely painful (because they were hard); I could never adjust.  Since
then, I've had soft contacts that were wonderful to wear the first day,
all right for the first week, but after that, would burn.  A first
cousin of mine has similar trouble (she doesn't have Celiac) and was
told she's allergic to what her eyes produce (if I'm remembering
correctly) and was given some type of drops to help when she wants to
wear contacts.  The latest lenses I've used were CooperVision torics.
The lenses were disposables, but only after 3 months per pair (4 pairs
to the pack).  Now having Celiac, I wonder if the solutions might have
been what caused me burning sensations.  I certainly don't have to go
back to contacts, but I would prefer to.  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aviva
(Chicago)