From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:01:02 -0800

Dear List Mates,

Some time ago one of the participants on this list server surfaced a
question about gluten-free soft pretzels. Although I provided some links and
an opinion, I had never tried baking soft pretzels. In fact, until recently,
I have never eaten soft pretzels. [poor baby!] We'll, they're good, and they
are chewy. I can see why people like them. They make a good breakfast -
without the optional dip into the mustard.

In the process of researching soft pretzels, I discovered a website devoted
to passionate baking, albeit not gluten-free baking, that was both
interesting and informative. I didn't know soft pretzels in Germany can be
boiled in lye-water, albeit dilute lye-water. Before you drag out the
Drain-o, you have to know the difference between food-grade lye and the
other stuff. Don't use Drain-o or non-food-grade lye for cooking
[obviously].

In the middle of the three batches of soft pretzel experimentation, I had to
share the oven with my wife who found a recipe for rolls. These are not just
dinner rolls, these are really easy dinner rolls - quick, good, and
definitely not fussy.

If any of this interests you, just navigate to http://tinyurl.com/2vdggw or
( http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/ ) and lscan down the list
for the <New> in red to find out more.

Please let me know if you have questions,

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA