Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:15:11 -0800

Regarding the itchiness of my under-the-bra area, I asked about switching
from Arm & Hammer Free to Tide Free.  Only ONE person said that they use the
A& H with no problems.  SO it seems there's something itchy in that stuff!
It was also suggested that i may have a yeast infection on my nipples (eww!)
which I really hope I don't.  That's most common in pregnant/nursing women.
I'm not either.  So I think it was just an irritation. Seems to be getting
better.  An interesting thing is that my best fried has the same thing!  So
it might be the colder weather.

Here are some summaries, most importantly Tide is GF:

ever considering the itching might be from
detergents. I thought it might be from deteriating
rubber in elastic and nickel in the hook-and-eyes.

When the hook-and-eyes are uncovered (silver colored),
it itches, so I buy covered hook-and-eyes (white or
whatever) and that helps.  When the bras get old, it
starts itching. That's why I thought it was old
rubbber in the elastic causing the problem.

    New bras with covered hook-and-eyes never cause a
problem for me even after several washings with Tide
Free. (no perfumes or dyes).

I use tide FREE and have no reaction to it. I have never been able to use
Arm and Hammer.  When it first came on the market 20 or so years ago, I
bought it as being a great idea...I reacted immediately. I did not know I
was gluten intolerant until 3 years ago.

I have been using Surf for years...recently bought Arm & Hammer...my husband
(with no CD) and I (with CD) have been itching like crazy.  Hubby has a bad
rash on the part that his undies cover.  I bought Surf again and plan to
stick with it.  I did call and find out the Surf is GF.

 I would like to recommend a detergent that I've been using for years.
It is environmentally friendly and free of harsh chemicals, such as bleach
and phosphates.  It uses all natural cleansers and brighteners.  My skin is
extremely sensitive and I have been very pleased with this detergent.  It's
called Melaleuca MelaPower.

I switched to Wisk perfume/dye free.  It is not as good a Cheer though.

I called Proctor & Gamble on 9/19/01 (800-492-7378) and they said all of
their laundry products are GF.  I had specifically asked about Tide Free
and Tide with Bleach.

I use the Tide (perfume and dye free) and have never had a problem and I do
react to most detergents and even worse for me can be fabric softners.  I
can use almost any perfume and dye free detergent and be ok.  I have CD and
DH and have never had an outbreak of DH from the perfume and dye free Tide.
I think my problem with most detergents is not so much a gluten concern as
it is the fragarance and dyes.

If you want a perfume free detergent, Tide Free won't do.  They don't take
the perfume out; they just put another chemical in to mask the perfume
smell.  I use Wisk Free and Clear.  No masker.