From:
Amy Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:48:39 EST

I'm anxious to know if anyone recognizes what my daughter's been complaining of
or can help me to help her.  She was biopsy diagnosed at age 3, and has now
been on the diet 4 years.  For the last year and a half, she has had
intermittent attacks of acute leg pain.  It comes on unpredictably, sometimes
two or three times a month, sometimes weeks or months pass between episodes.
It always comes on in the evening, sometimes directly after supper, sometimes
nearer to bed time.  She says the front of her lower leg is killing her,
somewhere between the knee and the ankle.  She can't say if it's in the bone,
but I think the source of pain is beneath the skin.  The painful leg looks
normal, no swelling or rash. Which leg hurts seems to vary, but it's never
been both at the same time.  The first few times it happened she would say she
had eaten too much, so I'm guessing she felt some bloating together with the
leg pain.  She writhes, cries, and even screams with the pain (which is how
she responded to the stomach pains before her diagnosis).  It doesn't usually
last more than 30 minutes, but is so severe while it's happening.  In the past
I have given her pain reliever; lately she doesn't want any, so I massage
lightly until it passes.  Does anyone recognize this as a celiac-related
symptom? Is it a sign she's ingesting gluten we don't know about?  I'd be
grateful to hear from anyone who can shed light on this.  Thanks.

Amy Blumenthal
Central Ohio