Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:22:20 -0500

Pam Lambert wrote:
> Is there any reason to think that flax is not gluten free?  I've had
> serious diarrhea after ingesting it on two occasions, once as self-ground
> seeds and the other as encapsulated oil.  While I'm not quick to label
> this a gluten intolerance reaction, I'm wondering if it's more than
> coincidence.

Please don't take this as a statement that flax is GF - I don't
know. What I do know is that flax does make you more "regular".
Basically it lubricates the GI tract. Some flax oil also contains
fiber residues in decent amounts, further adding to the ease of
bowel movement. Flax seeds are VERY high in fiber. How potent
this action is depends on you, the amount you take and how long
you have been taking it (as well as other oils/fats). If you
have been sticking to a fairly low fat diet, haven't had flax
oil before and then take a decent amount of it it might produce
the very reaction you are talking about.

Again, I don't know if flax/flax oil is gluten free or not.

Ilya