From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:23:44 -0800

Hi All--

Thanks so much to everyone who shared their knowledge and time to provide information on GF flours...and so much more! The following are the responses I received. The USDA web site (www.usda.gov) has a database you can download of over a thousand foods with full nutritional information. It's a bit tricky to find - the best way to get to it is to get to their main home page and in their site search line, type "database" (without the quotes). Hope I didn't leave any references out. If anyone finds info they'd like to add, let me know and I'll do another summary.

_____
Gluten Free Diet. A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Shelley Case is a  pretty good resource.  It has a lot of nutrients listed not just for these grains but most vegetables too. The only thing I don't see right  off is fat content.  I will have to look at it more thoroughly again.
Has lots of good information, Revised edition came out in 2002.  Lots of info on gluten foods from the various companies.
_____
www.calorieking.com This is free but you can also purchase the information to download on your PDA.  It also has fast food information as well.  I use it all the time for carb counts (I'm diabetic as well).  I wish it had allergy information too.  It would be great to have it all in one place!
_____
I have two sources for you, but I think you may not be aware that you have not asked a question that is VERY complex.  For example, Canadian Hard Winter Wheat is very different in protein and nutrient content from Midwest soft wheat, etc.  Just saying rice flour isn't enough, you need to know the specific kind of rice it was ground from and where it was
grown, since that will change the nutrient composition, how it was processed, and unless you contact the manufacturer in each case (or grind your own), it isn't likely you could figure it out.
That being said, I think you can find a lot of the information you want, as a non-scientific end user of flour, in Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks.  I'd look at her two most recent ones, the GFG bakes bread and GFG cooks Comfort Foods.  She has a section where she talks about the various GF flours, how much protein each has, etc.  So it's a kind of common-sense way of getting part of the information you want, but geared toward a celiac viewpoint.  It's a more generic view, and probably not as extensive as you'd like.

The more technical source would be the USDA website, it has exact percentages of nutrients, etc., for all kinds of specific products. But it's been awhile since I looked at it, because I was overwhelmed with the amount of detail for each item I checked out, and decided it was far too much information for what I wanted to know.
_____
The following URL should take you to a website called 'Weightlossfriends'. It's aim is primarily to serve dieters, but it does contain a nutrition database which contains all manner of information about many foods, including most of the gluten-free flours that you probably would use.

http://www.weightlossfriends.com/index.php/food

The information that you want is probably under the 'Cereal and Pasta' listing, which appears about one-third the way down the page. The information is available in either metric or imperial measurements.
_____
You might try Bob's Red Mill web site.  Go to http://www.bobsredmill.com/  Click on the Products box at the top. At the product section go to the browse block.  Select the flours &
meals.  You will get a list indicating the GF products.  When you select a product you will get the description  etc.  Click on the nutritional information section in the block.  Most have all of the nutritional information for 1/4 cup.  There is US Government publication  I got rid of my copy as it was an old one.  All products are listed in it.  I could not seem to locate it readily.  I haven't used it since I have been GF.

Add buckwheat flour, teff flour and amaranth flour to your list. I use amaranth a lot and buckwheat too.
_____
Yes in Bette Hagmans book " The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread"
_____
www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search
_____
Book, "Gluten Free Diet. A Comprehensive Guide" by Shelley Case
_____
Carol Fenster's web site: www.savorypalate.com
_____
http://nat.crgq.com
www.walford.com
www.lundberg.com/brownrice.html
www.twinvalleymills.com
www.timnull.net
www.Bobsredmill.com

Thanks, again! What an awesome group of people we have on this list!

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama