Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:38:15 -0600

(Here is the 2nd part of the summary.)

Here is a bread recipe developed for Denver altitudes and the Zo including
the settings for the machine.  You may find that you need to add more yeast
at a lower altitude because yeast rises faster at higher altitudes.  If you
don't have all the 'special' ingredients like lecithin granules or dough
enhancer, try it anyway.  You might be surprised.  I do find that I have to
remove the bread from the pan and not leave it in on the keep warm cycle or
it tends to collapse in on itself.

IRENE’S SORGHUM BREAD

For the Zojirushi Bread Machine

Variations include Almost Rye, Cinnamon Raisin, Cheese, Sunflower, Dairy
Free, Garlic Basil, Onion

Prepared today by Cheryl Borgen, Original recipe by Irene Backes

2      Cups Sorghum Flour (Bobs Red Mill)

2/3  Cups Nonfat powdered milk (Safeway)

1 1/2 Cups Tapioca Flour (Vitamin Cottage)

1 1/2  tsp salt

1/4    Cup sugar (C&H) plus

1 Lg tsp Dough Enhancer (Kitchen Resource)

2       tsp sugar

1 Lg tsp Soy Lecithin powdered or granules

3 1/2   tsp Xanthan Gum

(Vitamin Cottage) (can use unflavored gelatin)

1 1/8 tsp Dry Yeast (Red Star)

(lower altitudes than Denver may need more yeast)

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix.

In the bread machine baking pan add the following:

1 1/4 Cups warm water (I add a little more if humidity is low. Too much
water and the bread will fall)

1 tsp Cider Vinegar (Heinz apple)

1/4 Cup oil (Bertolli’s light olive)

3 Large eggs (beaten and at room temperature)

-Add the dry ingredients on top of the wet ingredients in the baking pan.

-With a spatula slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until pretty
well mixed.

-Start the bread machine on programmed memory as shown below.

-When bread has finished mixing and starting the rise cycle, use a spatula
to pull out the paddles, turning them back slightly to release from locked
position.  This will prevent large paddle holes in your loaf.

-Cool bread on rack until completely cool. You can slice with an electric
slicer or knife and place in zip lock bags to freeze.  You can leave it on
the counter in an airtight bag for 2 or 3 days to enjoy fresh soft bread,
and then freeze.  It is also great toasted.

NOTES:  I have made this bread without the dough enhancer when I couldn’t
find it. Contact Kitchen Resource at 801-261-3222 for a local source.  Use a
small coffee mill to grind your spices.  I mix up to five bowls of the dry
ingredients while I am measuring it out and reserve the other bowls until
the first loaf is done.  After the machine cools a short while I start
another loaf.  Don’t add the yeast until you are ready for a new loaf.  You
can store the flour mixes in the fridge and bake a fresh loaf whenever you
want.  Recipe developed in Denver, CO. Yeast will rise faster at higher
altitudes, adjust yeast as needed.

The memory cycle for the Zojirushi is set as follows:

Knead              15 minutes

Rise I (skip)       0

Rest  (skip)       0                    Total time is 2 hours, 15 minutes
plus cooling time on the rack.

Rise II              30

Bake                60

Cool                 30                    Optional- if I leave bread in for
this cycle, the top collapses.

Remove bread as soon as it is done for the best results.

VARIATIONS:

Almost Rye Bread – Add to dry ingredients 1 TBS Fennel seed ground fine, 1
TBS Caraway seed ground very course (almost in half).  See NOTES above.

Cinnamon Raisin – Add a cup of raisins about 10 minutes into the mixing
cycle.  After the mixing stops add cinnamon to your taste (1-3 TBS) and
streak it through the batter with a spatula.

Sunflower or flax – Add a few handfuls of seeds plus some on top after
mixing stops, or add ground flax seed to the flour before adding to the
machine.

Cheese – Add 1 cup or so of cheese.  Add during mixing cycle if shredded,
after mixing stops if cubed and stir with a spatula.

Dairy Free – Omit dough enhancer which contains whey, if you are sensitive,
and replace the powdered milk with a non-dairy powder like “Better Than
Milk” Rice or Soy powder or Vance’s Dairy Free (made with potatoes).

Garlic Basil Parmesan  - Add 1/8 to ¼ tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp. dried
basil to dry ingredients.  Add 1 cup parmesan cheese.

Onion – Add 1 ½ tsp onion powder and 1 Tbl dried onions.  May brown dried
onions in oil first.

WW points – slice with electric slicer into 28 slices plus 2 heels.  Plain,
garlic basil, or cinnamon is 2.18 pts each, Rye is 2.25 pts each, Cinnamon
Raisen is 2.45 pts each.  Total points per loaf for plain, garlic basil, or
cinnamon = 63.16, Rye = 65.16, and Cinnamon Raisen = 71.16

Sharon in KS