From:
Larry Leveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:26:51 -0800

Hello all. After three years of trying to figure out the cause of my GI
tract troubles, I think I may have joined the ranks of the Celiac
community. I'm not sure though -- there has been no formal diagnosis, just
a food allergy test an  "Elisa" test (IgG4 & IgE). The test came back with
significant reaction to wheat, gluten, gliadin, rye and other foods.  The
lab (Meridian Valley) and my naturopath recommend an elimination diet, but
in pouring through the loads of GF info in the FAQ files, I see
recommendations to have biopsies done first, THEN an elimination diet and
then possibly another biopsy.

I would appreciate advice on whether I need to have the biopsy done, or can
I just consider myself to have CD. Does it really matter? I mean if I stay
GF and have no problems, then why should I care? FYI I had already started
my elimination diet this week, so I wanted to make a decision ASAP. Thanks.

-----
Also, this list is very supportive of its members, especially when it comes
to recommending GF foods. I am also allergic to soy (doh!) and now cant eat
my most common condiment -- tamari. I found that The American Miso Company
makes an organi chickpea miso that I can use as a "soy-free soy sauce
concentrate" when diluted with water (for those who don't know, miso is a
potent soy-tasting paste used in making a Japanese soup -- very quick and
easy!). The ingredients on the package say "Organic chickpeas, organic
partially polished brown rice, sun dried sea salt and well water." The
company's number is 800-334-5809. Cost is $6.23 for a pound of miso (may
sound expensive, but it makes A LOT of soup).

I am also trying to track down a product called "Marmite" which I heard is
soy and gluten free. Anyone know about it?

- Larry Leveen

Bike info "freeware" site
http://www.olywa.net/leveen/homepage.html