From:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:58:40 -0400

I am a 27 year old male.

About 18 months ago I was part of a family medical study and happened to get a Dexa scan.  This showed that I had Osteoporosis in my spine and eventually led to my diagnoses of Celiac disease as they were trying to find what caused it.

So...  I have been GF for a little over a year now, and have been taking Calcium and Vitamin D supplements.   I had another Dexa scan last week and today I got the results.

Basically there was very little change.  My average went from a -2.7 to a -2.6.  Two of the vertebra increased density, and two lost a little.   In particular I had one vertebra that was -3.8 which improved to -3.5.  My doctor pointed out this one in particular is still dangerously low.

He wants me to start taking Actonel.  I am wondering if I have been GF long enough to see an improvement.  I feel I have done a good job this past year with following the diet and taking supplements,  but I know I can do much better now that I have more experience and confidence.

I want to avoid taking Actonel (or other prescription) if possible.  However, I am open to the idea if it is really necessary.  He is really urging me to take it, saying the risk of fracture if far greater than any side effects I may experience.  He also said it is probably something I could take for 3 years or so and then stop.

I haven't been able to find much (if any) research that encompasses my demographic with Osteoporosis.   I've found several references to bone density increasing after a celiac begins a GF diet, but haven't found any that said how long it would take.

Does anyone know any research studies they point me to?

Should I avoid the Actonel and focus on strictly following the GF diet, calcium +D supplements and exercise?  Or should I do all that and take the Actonel?

Any other people out there is a similar situation?  Has anyone seen a significant increase in bone density simply by going GF and taking supplements?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my story.

Take care,
Adam Schroeder