From:
Judy Tillinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:38:29 -0500

Since so many listers emailed to say they're having similar problems and
are interested in the summary, I'm including most of the information I
was sent. In my initial post, I unfortunately neglected to mention that
I was biopsy-diagnosed almost 9 years ago and have been GF since. Many
of the responses were from those recently diagnosed and that factor must
be taken into account.  When/if further information comes in I'll post
it.

I started to lose my hair in gobs and also had other symptoms (always
cold, low temperature, fatigue, dry hair, nails,and skin, chronic
indigestion from a myriad of foods); it turned out to be low thyroid,
which is common with celiacs.  Itake natural pig thyroid and am not
losing any more hair.  It's too soon to tell if I'm growing any new
hair.  I had a bloodtest for TSH, the thyroid test, but it came back
negative.  The doctor that gave me the pig thyroid said that the
bloodtest has a high rate of false negative responses, meaning it comes
back saying your thyroid is okay when it's not.  Plus,the Synthroid that
the regular MDs give for thyroid does not contain the natural thyroid
that has the calcitonin in it that keeps the calcium in your bones and
therefore would take the calcium out of your bones, something we
celiacsjust don't really need!  So, try to locate an integrative
medicine doctor who knows about natural pig thyroid.

Hope this helped!

I believe that my hair loss is affected my mercury toxicity -- for which
I have been tested extensively. I have begun the long/tedious process of
removing all of my metal fillings/crowns (of which I have many), and am
accompanying that with IV chelation therapy/IV vitamin C after every
dental appointment. I believe that, more than anything, has helped my
body deal with the toxic overload of the heavy metal.

In my reading, I have learned that many people with autoimmune disorders
such as CD also have toxic loads of heavy metals. It may be a path you
want to explore.

One possible cause is autoimmune hypothyroid disease (hypothyroidism),
which means that the thyroid is under-active.  I was diagnosed with CD
in April1998; then in late November 1999, I was diagnosed as
hypothyroid.  I hadnoticed some thinning of my hair, but I hadn't put it
together withanything.  I'm now on thyroid hormone, Synthroid, every
day, and not onlyhas my hair loss stopped -- it has reversed, and I am
getting new hairgrowth.  I've learned that thyroid problems are fairly
common in people withCD and also fairly common in women over age 50.
I'll be 50 this spring andam definitely perimenopausal.  So you might
want to talk with your primarycare physician about ordering some thyroid
level tests; they are simpleblood tests and, if my memory serves me
correctly, there are 3 of them:  forT3, T4, and TSH, the last one being
for the level of one's Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.  Beyond that, it
gets technical, and while my doctorexplained it all to me, I couldn't
repeat it.  I do know, though, that I amfeeling better; in addition to
new and healthier hair growing, my energylevel is better.  I hope this
helps.

Hair loss can be an autoimmune disorder called Alopecia Areata. I also
believe that Celiacs are more likely to acquire other autoimmune
disorders more often than a non-Celiac would.

Do you have a good gynecologist who might check your estrogen,
progesterone, and testosterone levels.  Sounds like something is out of
balance.

My hair loss seemed more gradual than you describe yours but I got
concerned at perimenopausal stage.  (Father and son both with male
pattern baldness.)  Began using Rogaine (but used a generic once it
became available because of cost).  Also because of other things, really
increased my vitamin intake (including B12, B6, folic acid), and more
aggressively treated problems caused by CD (using digestive enzymes,
treating for candida, etc.)  Also started taking estrogen and
progesterone.  Four years passed with no additional hair loss; possible
improvement.  In August, scalp became irritated (perhaps by switching
back to Rogaine brand--wonder if it has wheat-based alcohol)and I
decreased and then stopped using any form of Rogaine in an attempt to
heal scalp.  I don't think my hair is any thinner now than it was in
August.  Best hypothesis is that Rogaine did help but my now better
nutritional status is helping too.  And maybe the hormones.

there are a number of things to consider when evaluating hair loss.

1. vitamin deficiencies
2. protein and/or protein-calorie malnutrition - Both 1& 2 could be
   related to undiagnosed or untreated CD
3. Alopcia Areata - another autoimmune disorder associated with CD.