From:
Robin Ayers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 14:51:41 -0700

This may be a strange question but I am a dx'd Celiac and My Aunt is
also.  She has been for 16 years and she lives on a 300+ acre farm.
They do farm grains.  Could this be harmful for her?

Additionally- when she was dx'd the doctor put her on Dapsone (sp?).  -
he is still giving her this and basically told her when she has a
reaction to "wheat" to take some to reverse the effect.  So for 16 years
she has been using it as a medication when she gets sick.  Is this a
correct measure of treatment?  I was under the impression it was used to
treat DH?

He also called it Celtic Disease and never explained that it encompassed
wheat, oats, rye and barley.  She has never had testing for bone
density, exrays of intestines, or for that matter any other testing
since then and she is well into her sixty's. She was not even aware it
was a disease that effects her intestines (thought it only made her get
mouth sores and soft tissue sores)

If anyone has any answers or could send some advice/ support I would
greatly appreciate it.  She lives out in the middle of nowhere and
dosn't get into town much.  I sent her a little gift pack with some
goodies and she was so amazed that there were such products!  She had no
idea about support groups - list serves etc.  (although I doubt there is
one near her)  If anyone lives in a similiar situation or has some
advice for someone who is trying to rehaul their entire thinking on what
Celiac disease is. (She is very confused)  I would appreciate the
letters - I can send with a care package in a few weeks!

Thank you!

Robin