From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:31:24 -0400

At 03:23 AM 7/30/96 -0400, chris dye <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>                My consultant, who has a world-wide reputation for
>treating food allergies (mentioned in American books!) is quite happy for
>Coeliacs to eat wheat starch providing it complies with the code.  We are
>also allowed to eat Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies - the malt extract and
>malt flavouring considered safe for CD.  My consultant said that the USA
>had done little research into CD whereas Europe had and consequently
>Americans were rather more conservative.

I know of one North American study on wheat starch. It is:

The front page of the Spring 1995 issue of the Celiac News from the Canadian
Celiac Association has "As evidence, Dr. Seidman referred to a study of 25
adults who had never ingested wheat starch. The study introduced wheat
starch into their diet. Half of the group were forced to remove themselves
from the study due to adverse symptoms."

>Happy to say that on the diet after 6 months my villi had returned to
>normal.

The first sign of a gluten problem in the mucosa is a raised number of
interepithelial lymphocyctes. It is very possible someone eating wheat
starch never has this number go back to normal.

Don Wiss.