From:
Ronan Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:10:47 +0100

Hi, fellow listmembers,

I've noticed quite a few postings recently questioning the GFstatus of
medicines.  At a recent meeting, a coeliac who is also a pharmacist, gave
us a great way to help with this problem.  He told us that there is a big
book called the DATA SHEET in every pharmacy which lists all the current
drugs and preparations.  Under each listing, it gives lots of info about
each particular medicine INCLUDING  in most cases the full list of
ingredients, even what's in the coating etc.  All you have to do is ask the
pharmicist to check it for you or ask to read the entry for the drug you
are interested in.

AND IT WORKS!  I've just used it as my doctor prescribed me some
antibiotics, a decongestant and vitamin tablets for sinusitis - there was
no problem getting them checked, the pharmacist showed me the relevant
entries to check for myself and they were all GF. Two of them contained
starch but it was listed as maize starch (tricky for anyone intolerant to
corn but OK for me).  Before this, I'd made do with unchecked reassurances
("it probably is" ......"most drugs are nowadays".....etc.), so I feel a
lot happier this time.

I presume other countries have the same or a similar book in their
pharmacies, so don't be too shy to ask.  As well as getting the info I
needed, I found the fact that I took the trouble to ask for the Data Sheet
by name made the staff treat my query more seriously.  By the way the
pharmacist told me it's updated every year, so that's fairly reassuring.

Hope this will be of help to others.  I certainly found it useful.

All the best   -   Liz in Dublin, Ireland.