From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:21:47 EDT

the Celiac list archives to find a copy of the one that circulated last
spring...to no avail, and I've lost my hard copy of the recipe. The following
is the Mock Matzah Balls recipe in Hagman's The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks
Fast and Healthy. The recipe sounds like the one I used last spring. If it
was, it was delicious.

2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
few grinds of pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or chicken fat
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely ground blanced almonds or Nut Quik ground
   finer in a food processor
1/8 teaspoon zanthan gum if using ground almonds (Nut Quik already contains
   zanthan gum.)
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon potato starch

Separate eggs, placing yolks in medium size mising bowl and whites in a small
bowl suitable for beating. To the yolks, add salt, pepper, cinnamon, and oil.
Mix. Beat the whites till stiff, but not dry and fold into yolks. Add almond
meal/zanthan gum or NutQuik and potato starch in thirds, folding carefully
into egg mix. Refrigerate 2 hrs. When soup is within 15 minutes of being
fully cooked, bring to a boil and lower heat to medium. Mix the matzah ball
batter lightly. Drop by heaping teaspoons into boiling soup. Cover and turn
heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes. Serve immediately.