From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:12:55 -0700

Here's another recipe I adapted from Woman's World weekly.  It's absolutely
fabulous.  I made it last night & it was a big hit.  One drawback though.
It's time consuming if you want to make it for a crowd.  (I doubled the
recipe.) But, if you make it for a small group of 4 to 6 it would be fine as
is.  If you have someone to help you make it for a crowd, it's worth the
effort.

JAMBALAYA SKEWERS W/ CAJUN RICE
One recipe serves 6.

SKEWERS:
12 (9") skewers
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2" pieces (I used
chicken tenders which are easier to cut & manage than whole chicken breasts)
1 (12 oz.) pkg smoked sausage (I used Hillshire Farms)
8 oz medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1/2 cup butter (I used butter, but I think olive oil would work fine)
3 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
2 Tbs. mustard (store brand worked good)
1 tsp. garlic powder (I used fresh garlic minced)
1 tsp. dried oregano (I used fresh chopped oregano)
1/2 tsp. pepper

RICE
2 tbs. butter
1 red pepper, diced (I used green.)
2 ribs celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 1/2 cups rice
2 Tbs. ketchup
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used fresh minced)
1/4 tsp. dried tyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) Swanson's chicken broth. (I think water would work fine.)
1 cup water (Whether you use broth or water alone, you will need about 2 3/4
cups liquid total)
1 bay leaf
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley

SKEWERS:  If using wooden skewers, soak in water 30 minutes before using.

Thread chicken, sausage & shrimp onto skewers.  Melt butter with remaining
ingredients.
Plaace skewers on grill; brush w/ butter mixture.  Grill until cooked
through, about 5 minutes turning once.  (It goes pretty quick.  If you
double the recipe, you probably don't need to double the butter mixture.  I
had a lot of sauce left over.)

RICE:  In pot melt butter over medium heat.  Add red pepper, celery, onion
and carrot; cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 minutes.  Stir in rice,
ketchup, garlic, tyme, salt.  Add broth, one cup water & bay leaf.  Simmer
until liquid is absorbed.  (White rice takes about 30 minutes.  Brown rice
takes about 45 minutes.  I used Tsuru Mai short grain brown rice.)  Serve w/
skewers.

Valerie in Tacoma