Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:28:59 EST

My 3 year old son has been on a GF diet for almost 9 months now and
I have some nagging questions over what I have been giving him.  This
list has been wonderful but also causes me alot of concern.

He has been doing great -- he has gained about 7 pounds and has energy
that I never saw before.  His color has returned.  Stools still are
varying -- sometimes loose and sometimes hard. After 6 months on a gf
we had the bloodwork redone.  The levels were low but not quite in the
normal range.  I was told that it may take a while for the levels to
get back down depending on the damage done and knowing that my son had
the Celiac symptoms for at least 10 months prior to diagnosis that it
seemed reasonable to me.

Some of my questions that I have as to whether or not I have been
poisoning my child with what I have been giving him are --

1) Is children's tylenol GF?  I recently saw that the adult tylenol is not.
If it is, what do parents give children for temperatures?

2) I have seen some discussion on canola oil.  Is it acceptable on a GF
diet?  If not, how can certain items such as the Lays potato chips that
appear in the CSA Guide be cooked in canola oil and yet considered safe
or is canola another one of the disputed items (like quinoa) that may or
may not be safe.  If it is a problem for some but not others, how can
I tell if it bothers my son?

3) RICE.  I thought rice was rice and have been giving him Uncle Ben's
or most often, my local grocery store (GIANT) brand.  This list has
raised doubt that the rice since it is enriched and is done so with
barley and therefore not gf??!!  If this is the case, what is the
easiest/best brand that is gf that I should be giving him?  He eats
rice at least 3 or 4 times a week.  Unfortunately, he doesn't like most
potatoes or very much meat, so the bulk of his dinners are either
rice, rice or corn pasta, or french fries.  What do others eat?  He
is good with eating some vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, peas, carrots
and corn) and fruit (apples, bananas, grapes and canned peaches).
Dinner is so frustrating because I feel that I am unable to provide
him with much of a variety.  (Sorry if I seem to be complaining)

Finally,
4) Is it documented anywhere what I need to worry about when reading
a label and it looks alright?  I know there are hidden glutens but need
I call the manufacturer for every product that I currently don't see
on my safe list?  For example, to me it would be safer to buy mozarella
cheese as a chunk and grate it myself.  None of the brands my store
carries appears on my list.  The ingredients look the same as those
of an accepted grated variety minus the (I believe it to be) powdered
cellulose ?? to prevent caking.  So could I buy this?  I get so
confused and frustrated.

Thanks for any input or advice in advance.

Michele Kratzmeier     (301) 640-3079         861/4B40