From:
Annette Willits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 08:59:38 -0500

I was recently hospitalized (after 3 emergency room visits in 1 wk due
to dehydration) for severe weight loss (down to 88 lbs. and I'm 5'7").
After 4 days of trying to convince the Drs. I did not have an eating
disorder, a team of them started focusing in on the symptoms and put me
on a GF diet.  I had the barium "thing" and next week will have the
endoscopy for the final part of the diagnosis.  I have been GF for a
good month now and am feeling much better.  One symptom, however is
swelling in my ankles/feet and occasionally my knees.  When I wake up in
the am, the swelling is usually down, but by noon and later in the day,
the swelling is quite intense.  I am a small boned person and this
swelling is very obvious to everyone.  I work in an office and need to
dress up everyday & wear skirts & such and cannot easily hide it.

I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced such symptoms.  I
did research some of the old listserv files and know that edema is a
possible symptom of CD.  Please let me know what you found worked for
the swelling or what it was caused by.  I'm a bit confused by this since
I have really been cautious about following my diet to the "T".

Another issue I would be curious to have addressed is that I feel I am
constantly hungry (or have the compulsion to constantly eat).  I eat
TONS of veggies & fruits, and seem to be a bit constipated.  This has
never happened to me, as I think I have had CD most of my life and it
was never diagnosed (I am now 31 yrs old).  What do you experience in
this regard and what do you do that seems to help?

Any responses to this inquiry are greatly appreciated.  You have all
been a great support this past month.  I look forward to hearing from
you.