From:
Emerisle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:43:45 -0800

My original question was regarding modified food
starch (MFS) and restaurant bulk labeling requirements
with the new law...  The consensus is that MFS is
probably corn (but many are still cautious) and that
the laws don't apply to bulk restaurant items.  Thanks
to those who wrote.  Beth

Some excerpts:

Shelley Case states in her book, "Gluten Free Diet, A
comprehensive Resource Guide," that if no source is
stated,  it is corn.  It only has to state the source
if it is wheat but many will go ahead and say "corn"
just to be clear.

According to Shelley Case and Ann Whelan, the mfs is
probably not wheat. But I have been investigating and
avoiding mfs for many years.  I am not as worried
these days, but I usually do avoid mfs if I don't see
a "new" label.

I just wanted to let you know that the two sources
that I've found very helpful for sorting through what
is and isn't gluten free are Bette Hagman's cookbook,
the Gluten Free Gourmet and Shelly Case's book, which
is called something about the Gluten Free Diet.  In
the preface to the Hagman cookbook, she spells out
what's ok and what's not ok and what you need to look
for.  In Case's book, she lists foods that are ok,
foods to question, and foods to avoid.  Case also
gives helpful information along the lines of "natural
flavors can contain gluten ingredients, but
only rarely do so" and she explains why.  I find these
two books to be very accessible helpful resources.

It is my understanding that food starch is corn in
North America, but modified food starch can be
anything.  Some companies, such as Kraft, always
indicate the source of their modified food starch, but
if it isn't spelled out, we don't know that it's safe.

The food labeling does not apply to restaurants.