From:
Monica Kapps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 17:17:19 EST

Dear Listmembers:

Thanks to all who have already responded to the survey I sent out last week.
In addition to receiving over 70 completed surveys, I also received three
requests for more information about myself and the survey. So, here goes:

I am a celiac. And I assure all of you who responded that your individual
survey will be kept completely confidential.  Professionally, I work as a
configuration manager for large computer systems development projects.  I also
frequently serve as a facilitator for process analysis teams, and, in that
capacity, I advocate the collection and analysis of data for making effective
decisions about process improvement.

The only organization I currently belong to is the Celiac List (many thanks to
our listowners and St. Johns University).  However, I am planning to join the
local (Maryland) chapter of CSA/USA.  I expect to learn more about it on
Friday, Feb 6 at the GF Mexican Fiesta in Columbia, MD.  I was a member of the
national CSA back in 1995, the first year after I was diagnosed.

As I stated on the survey form:

1) the purpose of the CD Timely Diagnosis Survey is to obtain your opinion on
the timely diagnosis of Celiac Disease (CD) by medical professionals; and

2) a summary of survey results will be posted in March 1998. Respondents must
return their surveys by Feb 15, 1998.  Return the survey to:  [log in to unmask]
Printed surveys can be mailed to M.G.Kapps, 11505 Snowden Pond Rd., Laurel, MD
20708.

The reason I plan to post the results in March is to allow enough time for a
response from celiacs who do not have computers and modems, but have been
given the survey by listmembers (thanks to Jerry D. Walter for distributing
the survey to his support group).  There is also another reason I need to
complete this activity in March: summarizing survey results takes a lot of
time, and since I will be starting my garden in April, I expect to be too busy
to continue work on the survey.  (I planted tomatoes and lettuce last year in
pots, but this year I want to try growing lots more vegetables in the ground,
and as a beginner, I have plenty to learn.)

Why am I asking celiacs for their opinion? Well, I think our collective
opinions on this issue are very important.  As to how the information will be
used: My plan is simply to summarize the results to the list.  I hope that we
can learn more about ourselves by gaining an understanding of our collective
experience.  And after that, well, I won^Òt really know until after I summarize
the results, since their further usefulness depends on what the summary
reveals about the timely diagnosis of CD.

Hope this answers all your questions and thanks for your interest. If anyone
else has any concerns about the survey, please let me know.

Monica
Laurel, MD, USA