From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:50:57 -0400

This is more of a 'what am i looking for' than a request for information
(however i will list the meds in case someone has already called the
manufacturers.  They weren't listed on any of the web pages i used.
(http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/spa/2679/gluten.html)

First the meds:

The real question on meds: what inactive ingredients am i looking for?
I found that CVS brand drugs contain 'modified food starch' which means
i have to call them, but knowing what to look for on the label would
make it easier to find it.  None of the other inserts contain something
as easy to find as 'modified food starch' but i still don't trust that
they aren't gluten containing.

loestrin FE 1.5/30 - can't find information, have package insert, don't
understand it.
claritin d 24 hr - is gf
beconase AQ - is gf
vioxx - is gf
generic valium/diazepam 5 mg - no information attempting to get package
insert am willing to take non-generic
generic fiorocet/butalbitol - no information attempting to get package
insert am willing to take non-generic
Cleocin T topical - most guides dont' cover topical meds
Metrogel topical - most guides don't cover topical meds
forget it's name but starts with d, a topical retinoid for rosacea.

And yes, I am aware that most of my migraines, joint pain, rosacea and
allergies may go away once i'm GF completely, but the complete lack of
information out there is driving me gonzo.

I have the same question on skin care.  I have a GREAT ingredient list
for most of my skin care, [for example, my toner contains: Purified
Water (ok), Sorbitol (ok), Aloe Barbadensis Gel (ok?), Phenyl
Trimethicone (huh?), Algae Extract(ok), Almond Water (ok), phospholipids
(huh?), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspol(huh?), Mugwort extract
(ok?), Sodium Hyaluronate (huh?), Idopropynyl Butylcarbarmate (huh?),
Chlorphenesin (huh?), Phenoxyethanol (ok?), Sorbic Acid (ok?),
Aminomethyl Propanol(huh?), Epilobium Angustifolium Extract (huh?),
Yeast Extract (ok? or no?), Diazolidinyl Urea (ok, this is an animal
product right?).]  I just spent about 1.5 hours to find out that it
depends per product whether they contain animal products (i was calling
for a vegan friend) and that if you don't question the immediate 'yes'
you receive you will get bad information [seeing as five of their
products contains beeswax, i think they have animal products in them] So
i ask what exactly i am looking for. I know that if it ends in -ol, it
is an organic alcohol, but that doesn't mean it's a wheat based or wheat
containing alcohol.  So i'm really lost staring at all this organic
chemistry...

Thanks for your help with my labels.