From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:12:45 -0500

I just bought one of those small cookbooks at the supermarket checkout:  Holiday Gifts from a Jar. It has recipes where you make a mix and put it in the jar and attach a gift tag with a recipe for making the cookies with the mix. Pretty neat. Published by www.pilcookbooks.com.

One of the recipes interested me, because it had no flour. Of course, it has enough cholesterol  and sugar in it to make you ill, but hey, it's the holidays.....At least, it's gluten-free.

There is a typo in the book, if you buy it. This mix and recipe call for a one and a half quart jar. At one point in the instructions, it says one quart. I phoned the editor, who said it's one and a half. She said some people find a hard time finding jars that size, so you may have to improvise...using two single quart jars with crumbled wax paper or tissue paper to keep things from moving around, or using a 2 quart jar with paper stuff in. But it makes a full one and a half quarts, and that's what the recipe for the cookies will take.

Peanut Butter Jumbos (Mix)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 and a half cups old-fashioned oats  (gluten-free version only)
1 cup red and green (or any color) chocolate coated candy...like M & M's
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Pour one half cup brown sugar into the jar. Pack down well. Combine granulated sugar and baking soda in a medium bowl, stir well. Pour one half cup sugar mix into jar. Pack down well. Layer one half cup brown sugar, remaining sugar mix, and oats in jar. Pack each layer well. Add layers of candies, one cup oats, chocolate chips and remaining oats. Pack down lightly after each layer.  (Sounds too complicated to me. I'd layer so that each layer is substantial...like at least a half inch thick. This isn't rocket science. The idea is to make stripes.)

Cover top of jar with fabric. Tie a string, ribbon, raffia around it. Attach a gift tag with the following recipe:

Recipe for the Peanut Butter Jumbo cookies:

1 jar of mix (one and a half quarts)
1 and a half cups peanut butter
one half cup (one stick) softened butter
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Lightly grease cookies sheets or line with parchment. Pour contents of jar in large bowl, mix well. set aside.
Beat peanut butter and butter in large bowl with electric mixer till smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry stuff until well blended.
Drop dough by one quarter cupfuls, 4 inches apart onto prepared sheets. Press to slightly flatten.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until firm. Do not overbake. Cool one minute on sheets; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 36 cookies. Big, chunkie ones.

Note: This booklet also has some no-bake cookies that you shape into balls, which have enough stuff in them, like peanuts, raisins, coconut, etc., that if you substitute gf flour or gf cookie crumbs, no-one will know the difference.

And the editor also said, they have a gluten-free cookbook in the works.

*******
*******