From:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:21:37 -0400

Hi everyone,

After I posted my message below, I e-mailed Steve Plogsted from www.glutenfreedrugs.com with the information because Advil was listed as GF on his site.  Steve talked with me yesterday and stated that he has spoken with Pfizer regarding the GF status of Advil Liqui-Gels in the past on multiple occasions.  Pfizer is claiming that the ingredient sorbitol is claiming to contain gluten, but it is gluten free according to Steve.  There is no gluten protein in sorbitol or any other sugar alcohol due to the way its processed.

I've used Steve's list for many years and have never had a problem with using any drug on his list that is designated GF.  Tricia Thompson has also written about sorbitol and the fact that its safe for celiacs, no matter the source.  http://bidmc.org/Centers-and-Departments/Departments/Digestive-Disease-Center/Celiac-Center/CeliacNow/NUTRAGFD/LBLRDNG/FDINGRDNTWRY.aspx

(Putting in props here here for Tricia and her great website www.glutenfreewatchdog.com, which tests products for gluten safety)

It's up to each of us to make decisions based on our own symptoms.  I'm a very sensitive celiac and minute amounts of gluten are problematic for me.  I decided last night to take an Advil Liqui-Gel based on my discussion with Steve and to keep looking for the cause of my DH blisters.  The difficulty with DH is that one or two exposures can cause blisters that last for a very long time.

Many thanks to Steve for talking with me and clarifying the status of this medication!!

Sue

> Hi listmates,
>
> I spoke with Pfizer today and was informed that their Advil Liqui-Gels products is NOT gluten-free.  The sorbitol is derived from wheat.   I called the company to check on the source of their yellow dye in the caplet and then just as a precaution asked about its GF status (even though its listed on the glutenfreedrug.com site as being GF).  She stated that the gel caplets and tablets are GF, but not the Liqui-Gels.
>
> I've been using this medicine for at least a year or more, but have been breaking out in DH blisters.  When I first started to use it, I called Pfizer and was given the green light.  They wouldn't clarify when the change occurred.  The representative transferred me over to the safety department to file a report and my side effects.
>
> If you're taking this product or have in the past and had any kind of reaction, I encourage you to call and file the report.  The representative stated that doing so encourages the company to make changes in their formulations, especially in their OTC drugs.    1-800-882-3845 (1-800-88-Advil)  Monday - Friday, 9AM - 5PM EST
>

> Sue
>

> *Please provide references to back up claims of a product being GF or not GF*
> *******
> To unsubscribe, email: mailto:[log in to unmask]
> *******

Susan Halter

"I need to put up with two or three caterpillars if I want to get to know the butterflies."
         The Little Prince