From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:00:52 EDT

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question regarding baking appliances -
trying to decide to keep the Kitchen Aid Mixer and/or buying a Zo bread
machine from my friend. I received an overwhelming response -- over
70 e-mails from some very caring people.  I tried to thank everyone
personally, but if I missed you, please accept my apology.

Boy howdy, ya'll sure do LOVE your Kitchen Aid (KA) mixers.  The overwhelming
response was to keep the Kitchen Aid.  Most everyone confirmed my thinking
that the KA would provide more flexibility.  Here are several good points our
list-friends made:

1.  With a good mixer, you can make several loaves of bread at once - a good
idea since combining all the different types of flours is so time-consuming

2.  If there's room, keep it sitting out on the counter - it will be used
more often

3.  Red Star Yeast suggests that you beat your mix for at least 10 minutes

4.  Most of our dough is very sticky -  a heavy-duty mixer can handle it.

5.  One person said she tried using the pasta-maker attachment but it didn't
work very well with gf dough.  She bought a pasta maker and says her family
loves the pasta she makes.

6.  One lady suggested I buy an electric tortilla maker - the tortillas you
can make work better for sandwiches than corn tortillas.

7.  The KA will make all forms of bread at once - make bread, hamburger
rolls, etc.

Many people also suggested that I keep both if I had the room and the money.
Several people noted that making bread in a bread machine doesn't heat up the
kitchen during the summer months (I key point to consider since I live in
hot, hot Savannah!!!).

Several posts suggested that I keep the KA and get a cheap bread machine -
lots of time they will do the trick (B. Hagman makes several suggestions in
her cookbooks for using less-expensive bread machines).

One person suggested that I get a Vita Mix -- you can
grind rice into flour AND knead the dough in the same container.  Plus,
you can use the machine as a fantastic blender/juicer/ice-cream maker,
etc.

Finally, one person from Canada suggested that I just don't bother with bread
- he suggested a low carb diet and even provided me with suggestions for
meals.

Folks, all of your responses were GREAT.  If I have to have Celiac I thank
God for such a good support group.  Again, thank you...

Regards,  Linda in Savannah, GA - USA