From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:52:16 -0500

Roben Ryberg's SNICKERDOODLES

This recipe is a sampling from a new cookbook tentatively titled The
Gluten-Free Baker by Roben Ryberg, scheduled for publication in the spring
of 1999.

Roben Ryberg: "We receive the most unusual feedback from our diverse
taste-testers. The non-celiacs are often not told that they are testing
gluten-free foods. The tray holding these cookies was returned empty with an
inquiry of where to buy some more. I'm sure you'll enjoy this crackled-top
cookie as much as our testers did."

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water

Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:

2 tablespoons sugar mixed with
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 . In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar.
Add egg and vanilla flavoring. Mix well. Add potato starch, cornstarch,
baking  soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and water. Mix well to
eliminate any lumps in the dough. Dough will be sticky. Lightly oil hands or
spray them with nonstick spray to better handle dough. Shape into small
balls, using a slightly-rounded teaspoon of dough for each cookie. Roll in
sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Place on lightly greased baking sheet and press each "ball" to even
thickness of about 1/3 inch. Bake for 10-12 minutes. A single cookie should
be removed at the shortest-baking time to test for doneness. Browning is not
a good indicator for these cookies.Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
"I have tried the snickerdoodle recipe listed below, and really enjoy
it. Good taste, a bit fragile but so wonderful. I'd missed them.
I've enjoyed what I've made from her book.  DJ.

_________________

SPRITZ COOKIES
This recipe comes to us from Claudia Celmer and Donna Knight.

1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
4 cups brown rice flour

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cream butter until very
soft. Work in sugar, egg and extracts. Add flour mixture gradually. Form
cookies with press or cookie shooter on un-greased cookie sheets. Decorate
as desired and bake for 8 to 10 minutes at 400. Makes 7 & 1/2 dozen cookies.

_________________

SUGAR AND SPICE MADELEINES

1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup margarine, melted
2/3 cup GF flour mix**
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Combine the salt and eggs in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high
speed until foamy. Gradually add in the sugar, beating constantly until the
mixture is thick and pale (about 5 minutes).

Mix the flour and spices in a bowl and stir well. Gradually fold the flour
mixture into the egg mixture. Gradually fold in the margarine and vanilla.

Coat a madeleine pan with GF cooking spray. Spoon about 1 Tablespoon of the
mixture into each madeleine form. (Instead of a madeleine pan you may use a
muffin pan, mini muffin pan, muffin top pan, etc. filled not quite half
full. The batter simply needs something to hold its shape.) Bake at 400
degrees F for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.

Remove the madeleines from the pan using the tip of a knife. Let them cool
completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes about 2
dozen.
This recipe comes to us from Joan Kulka. Note: For the rice flour in the GF
flour mix, Joan uses equal portions of sweet rice flour (like Mochiko) and
oriental rice flour